Swapping parts between engines of same make and model?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
When swapping parts between engines of the same size and manufacture. Other then the p/s staying together, are there any other parts that should be treated the same or stay with the original block for some reason?

I have one engine (block #1) that the p/s has lost it's tightness and has some scratches. I've cleaned the engine completely for anything that might scratch again. The bearings and crankshaft are good. The engine (block #2) that I will be moving the p/s from is the same engine. It has a front bearing that is leaking real bad. Instead of removing the front bearing from block #2 and taking the chance of screwing it up. Not to mention I have to remove everything just to get to the front bearing. I will just move the p/s from block #2 to block #1. Is there any reason the crank shaft should be moved also or not moved from one block to the other?

Any tips/comments when doing swaps like this?

Thanks.

should put the crank along with p&s and rod because the rod bushing and cranks has ran together

should put the crank along with p&s and rod because the rod bushing and cranks has ran together

Agreed, I know from first hand experience. If the bearings have more than two galons of use, it is best to replace them. There is NO room for slop in engine bearings. Worn bearings are the #1 killer of engines IMO.
At the very least keep the piston, sleeve and rod together. The crank is not as crucial.