Sup guys!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip cross

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am still around but I have gone back to 1:1 wheel pretty heavy. I sold ALL my RC stuff to support my Jimmy build up. I have some pretty good friends on this forum so I figured I would show you all what I have been up to lately. So y'all (Kurt) could all tell me what I was doing wrong... :hehe: I have been kicking the idea of swapping a newer style LS motor such as a 5.3 or a 6.0 into my 1976 Jimmy for about two months now.

I have a good friend that said oh heck put an 8.1 in it and that got the gears in my head turning. I like big blocks, you don't have to spin them as hard to get horsepower and torque out of them which would only make sense they will last longer then a higher rpm small block. I did some checking around and talking with Kevin and Jason at Pacific Fabrication and I found just what I was looking for.

12-16-09003-3.jpg

From my understanding the 8.1 will go right back into where a 454 came from. My Jimmy had a 454 in it before I bought it from the previous owner. I picked up some new motor mounts from DIY4X for 112.00 that are a lot better then the factory junk. I also picked up a fuel pump from FLeaBay. The only thing I have left is to figure out is what headers to use..... Any of you have any input ?

Here is a few pictures of my Jimmy that is getting the 8.1 transplanted into it.

1278420067.gif

1000000093-1.jpg

1000000094-1.jpg

Specs :

Dana 60 front
Lock Right going to replace with an ARB
1/4 Diff Cover
4:56 gears
New rotors, calipers and studs
New Wheel bearings
King Pins reworked
2.5 inch BDS front springs
ORD HD grease able shackles
ORD sway bar dico
ORD Steering box brace

14 Bolt rear
Detroit locker
4:56 gears
1/4 Diff cover
U joint / yoke rock guard
Rear disc conversion
New bearings and seals
shock mounts moved
axle perches moved
4 inch BDS rear springs
ORD HD grease able shackles

Built TH400 with external cooler
6 bolt round adapter
6 bolt round NP 205 soon to be twin sticked
New bearings, gaskets and seals in the NP 205
1350 yokes on everything
Thick wall drive shafts

16X8 Factory Ford wheels :hehe:
Yea, I know Ford parts on a Chevy... but they make the truck look old school with the GMC hub caps.

Dual batteries

Hydo boost brakes

The inside of the tub has been Line X'ed

3000 watt continuous 6000 watt max inverter

wheres the mooneyes decals? they go right behind the front wheel at the very bottom.

Man that's gonna be a sweet engine - i'll trade you my 5.3 for it. :D

The 8.1's run awesome! theres a 72 2wd chevy around here with one and that guy lights them up with just a tap of the throttle, love it!

Love the specs of it already Chip, axles look good to go. Make sure to keep this thread going with pics of the build.

That things a Tank...
Not a truck...

Its massive..
Oh and love the engine :)

Keeps us updated...

Very nice Chip! Word of caution: keep an eye on the frame rail around where the steering box mounts. This area is very weak and I have yet to see a 70's era Jimmy/Blazer that didn't show some signs of cracking.

You may already know this and, if so, feel free to say "I ain't dumb, RC." If you didn't already know this you will be thanking me one day for the heads up...

*EDIT* Never mind! I just saw the "steering box brace"...

sounds like you have it under control. just be carefull. when i started working on cars my dad showed me how jack up a car. jack it up put the stands under it, drop it down SLOWLY. when all the weight is on the stands, you bounce the car up and down, and sideways, if its not solid reset it. please be care full. why do i worry about you. i lost my father-in-law under a car. so be carefull

Last edited:
Very nice Chip! Word of caution: keep an eye on the frame rail around where the steering box mounts. This area is very weak and I have yet to see a 70's era Jimmy/Blazer that didn't show some signs of cracking.

You may already know this and, if so, feel free to say "I ain't dumb, RC." If you didn't already know this you will be thanking me one day for the heads up...

*EDIT* Never mind! I just saw the "steering box brace"...

The frame is not cracked on this one. The correct cure for frame cracking is Hydro steering and that will go on before the 37 inch PitBulls do.

Chip that thing is gonna be a beast, looking forward to seeing it all come together, you gonna add dig and cutting brakes, LOL!!!!!

Nice! Box her in and add the Hydro and you will be smiling! VERY SWEET!
Yes sir you are correct.
Chip that thing is gonna be a beast, looking forward to seeing it all come together, you gonna add dig and cutting brakes, LOL!!!!!
It will have dig but no cutting breaks you need a ARB or OX to have cutting breaks the Detroit is a full time locker unlike a selectable ARB or OX.

Needs Swampers

Ummmmm, no thanks. The Stupid Swamper tread pattern is 60 + years old. It will be getting BFG Krawlers or KM2 maybe even some PitBull Rockers. But most of the time it will ride on Dodge factory aluminum 17'' wheels which kinda favor a old school slotted mag ''KINDA''. That will be rapped in Michelin 275/65/17 all season tires.

This is what the wheels look like....

1283198235.gif

I will be using GM factory caps to replace the Dodge center caps.

I also picked up a M1102 Military trailer on 37 inch tires I am going to build a portable camper out of to sleep 2 people it will not be fancy but a place to lay your head. Here is a few pictures of it.

1283198326.gif

1283198323.gif

1283198322.gif

1283198321.gif

1283198318.gif

That prop is way too small. :D

Looks great man. You are going to love that ARB. Not sure if you have decided on an air source yet but i highly recomend a 10lb co2 tank. You could run your arb's for years on a tank is thats all you ever used it for. Back when i had my jeep i would run power tools and fill tires with it.

Id go with Rockers. I love their design and they have a awesome square look to them which I dig.

That prop is way too small. :D

Looks great man. You are going to love that ARB. Not sure if you have decided on an air source yet but i highly recomend a 10lb co2 tank. You could run your arb's for years on a tank is thats all you ever used it for. Back when i had my jeep i would run power tools and fill tires with it.

You are right the fan is small on the front end of a 496 cubic inch big block.

Back