Suggestions for Buying New Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillikw

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So here is the deal guys. I am new to Nitro and just started my rc hobby again. I used to have an electric stadium truck back in the day, but it was never as fast or durable as I need. About 2 months ago I finally broke down and bought a T-Maxx 2.5R. Since buying the thing I have upgraded almost half of it already. Thus I am spending doulbe the $$$ to build a basher. (Not what I had in mind)

With this being said, I was on a long business trip and the buggy bug bite me hard. I want to eventually race this car, but don't want to buy a kit that I am only going to have to upgrade later (aka right away).

I am looking for manufactors to base my build off of. So, I am asking you guys what buggies are the best (meaning durable, agile, and fast). I would also like a buggy where I can buy parts like the RPM arms for my T-Maxx. I don't know if a company does that, but that is why I am asking.

Fill me in on the buggy scene. Thanks in advance guys!!!!!!

Most of the high end kits such as the Xray XB8 and Mugen MBX5R are race ready out of the box without the need for upgrades. You choose your engine/pipe and electronics. What is your budget? We can help you choose something that falls within your price range. Also check to see what your local hobby shop (LHS) carries. It's always nice to have a local source for parts.

Price range, hahahahahaha. I thought I had a price range for my T-Maxx, but I just keep adding to it. I guess I would like to stay around 500-700. Would it be cheaper if I just built from scratch, that way I could add exactly what I want? Or another way of asking the question, What do I need to be competitive?

The best option is to build a kit and add what you want on it. A good starting kit in your price range is the Xray XB8R. It can be had for $320 right now, and is based off the pro-level XB8TQ. You will have to get your own radio, servos, exhuast, tires and a few other odds and ends. It will cost a lot in the beginning, but its definetly worth if over buying a RTR buggy.

Ok here is the deal with buggies.

1st find out what your LHS sells for parts.

2nd figure out how much you want to spend.

3rd depending in what your price range is you may have to go with a rtr and upgrade because $700 will only get you into the kit for a high end unit.

when buying a kit you have to get a bunch of stuff, a kit consists of your buggy in parts form, tires, wheels, and a wing/body. YOu will have to purchase radio equipment, battery, servos, engine, pipe, and paint for the body. The price on these things vary, but can push the $1500 line with relative ease.

With these high end units you don't need parts like rpm arms and the like because they are built for abuse.

I don't want to discourage you, but this is how it is.

look at the jammin x1 factory team. i have one of thoes and its great. i havent had a problem yet. it has all of the ft parts on it so you have a solid platform to work with. just get a radio like the jr xs3 pro with the 8800 series servos and a decent motor and you will be golden, but that is a little more than your price range. you also could go with a lower end radio and like a OS rg .21 and it could be closer to your price range.

just some food for thaught.

cheers rob

I second the Jammin buggy. Durable, easy to get parts for, easy to drive,and is less than other high end kits. Best "bang for the buck" IMO. The Xray is a great buggy, but I would get the TQ and leave the R, the TQ is worth every extra $$$ over the R.

The price for entry into the high end buggy market is kinda high if you did not notice. Most high end kits have a TON and a half of adjustments, you can make almost any buggy handle any way you want. It is hard to go wrong with almost any of them.

If the $5-700 figure is in total layout, it will be hard to get a top of the line buggy for that $$.

Here is a RTR that can be upgraded over time, but is still a good buggy out of the box.
http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2881

OR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48/products_id/8921

The best for the least $$ in a kit form
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/5379

Okay, so what I am hearing is that the top end buggy kits have most of the hop ups that I would need. Now the question, price aside, which companies make the best kits. I was thinking:

XRay
Ofna
Sportwerks
Losi

I know there are more that I can't think of right now. Which topend kit would you guys buy to dominate?

The best kits are made by Xray, Kyosho, Mugen, and Jammin.

Look at the:

Xray XB8TQ
Kyosho MP777 WC or SP2
Mugen MBX5 prospec or MBX5R
Jammin X1 FT

Personally, I like the Xray, but any one of these buggies is competitive and it depends on preference which you get.

phillikw said:
Okay, so what I am hearing is that the top end buggy kits have most of the hop ups that I would need. Now the question, price aside, which companies make the best kits. I was thinking:

XRay
Ofna
Sportwerks
Losi

I know there are more that I can't think of right now. Which topend kit would you guys buy to dominate?

The only way to dominate is with driving skill. You can have the best setup buggy but without practice you'll still end up last. Having the best equipment can make getting around the track easier, and psychologically can make you drive better, but if you want to win you have to practice and have driving skills. Period.

I understand that driving skill is key, but you have never seen my driving :naughty: Which out of those 4 kits will have the most hopups and be the most durable?

Its not about "Hopups" in the buggy market. Just like the rest of us, you will have to get out of the after-market hopup everything mind set. A quality buggy is built to run, not built and sold as a money sponge like the T-maxx. Yes there are "Better" or different parts options you can choose from but not like the T-Maxx. Any buggy you get on the mid to upper price range will be ready to go without getting additional after-market hopups.

Pick a reasonable price your willing to pay, Research what your options are , check for parts availability locally or from your favorite dealer and get the beast.

Point well taken on the hop ups. Now lets take this from a different angle, what are the major options when looking between the kits. I am guessing threaded shock bodies and such, or are there larger scale things to look at.

Well as I thought I stated before, price is not the issue. I was just on the phone with my local hobby shop and my main man said the Jammin X1 CR, Losi 8ight, or the Mugen spec. Which one do you guys like the best?

Out of those three, I'd take the Mugen Prospec, but any of the three can be competitive with the right driver.

At the point that buggies are today you can take any high end kit and be very competitive with it. The losi buggy is suposedly a great ride, but it is brand new so I would be weary for a little bit as to get the kinks worked out of it.

How does the OFNA Hyper 8 Pro compare to the Jammin X1 CR? Which is higher end?

Oh, I am trying to check out the Mugen but their website has no good pictures. Anyone know of a site it is reviewed with good photos?

do a search of it here, I know of a few members that have the prospec and have build threads of it.

I've built a prospec and its built like a tank, its not in the same catagory as the ofna line. Ofna/jammin are good, but imo the mugen/kyosho/xray are in a different class.

i think that the jammin x1 ft is going to be one of the top pics, because it has a proven win record with the top end drivers of the market, as with the mugen and kyosho chassis, but i speak from experiance with the jammin. its a great buggy and at least two big names design aftermarket parts for them, they are king heads and feroni. and you also figure its not all the chassis its the electronics and motor you buy, because if you buy a bottom of the line radio with out a high torque servo it wont steer as good as a high torque. also with the mill, it depends on weather you will be running short or long tracks, lots of turns or long straits, also club races or national events. all things to take into effect if you buy a kit.

cheers rob.

Back