Suggestion for entry level or RTR 1:8 scale buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So I'm considering jumping into 1:8 scale racing but never had a 1:8 buggy. Is there a good entry buggy, rtr, or a good first 1:8 buggy to check out?

Any direction on learning more about motor and lipo combination for 1:8?

The arrma typhon 6S might be an economical starting point with decent aftermarket and parts support. Then Associated, Losi, Mugen Seiki, Tekno, Kyosho (probably others as well) once you get serious about racing.

So I'm considering jumping into 1:8 scale racing but never had a 1:8 buggy. Is there a good entry buggy, rtr, or a good first 1:8 buggy to check out?

Any direction on learning more about motor and lipo combination for 1:8?

So, I'm guessing your looking into an e-buggy. Right now, I believe the Kyosho MP9 EVO V2 is the closest you can get to a full blown 1:8 scale racer. All of the MP9 hop-ups will fit it, as well as the TKI4 parts. There are still a ton of people racing this platform. The ESC and motor are not sensored, so you might want to change those out. The radio is a pretty good unit, so you can keep using that when racing.

So, I'm guessing your looking into an e-buggy. Right now, I believe the Kyosho MP9 EVO V2 is the closest you can get to a full blown 1:8 scale racer. All of the MP9 hop-ups will fit it, as well as the TKI4 parts. There are still a ton of people racing this platform. The ESC and motor are not sensored, so you might want to change those out. The radio is a pretty good unit, so you can keep using that when racing.
Yeah, e-buggy. I was looking at the MP9 but seemed everyone was running something else. But seems the only "entry level" one I could actually run if I decide to race. Is 4S the target battery for this 1/8 buggy? 1/8 doesn't have a stock class does it? Now to see if I want to do 1x or 2x battery setup. 2x would let me use the batteries in my other cars.......

There most of the 1:8 scale buggies you see out there are going to be the kits. The MP10 is the newest kit from Kyosho, but it doesn't come in an RTR. The MP9 is the closest race ready RTR.

It is designed to run with a 4s. Just make sure your looking at the EVO V2.

www.kyoshoamerica.com/34111 INFERNO-MP9e-Evo-V2-Readyset.html

Um, well, you said 1/8 scale racing, does that mean electric buggies are out of the picture? Does that mean nitro or gas only? A big downside to nitro powered cars is that if you live in a small town without a hobby store you are left with only electric or gas vehicles - no place to buy nitro fuel. If electric buggies are not out of the picture, Armma makes a buggy called the 1/8 scale Talion 6S BLX 4WD Extreme Bash Speed Truggy RTR that has been clocked at speeds exceeding 70 miles per hour in you tube videos! If I were a 1/8 scale man (I am not I fell in love with 1/5 scale a long time ago, sure sometimes they are slower but the size has advantages) I would definitely look at the Armma Talion. In fact the Armma Talion would be my first choice unless I wanted a monster truck. Kits like Mugen and others I would avoid - very long construction times. Murgen and others are definitely not ready to run. You have to build them up from the ground up, and in many cases the kit does not come with all the parts - you have to buy the engine, the wheels, and in many cases other parts. Avoid nitro, go with gas or electric ready to run vehicles, and buy from quality companies like Losi and Armma. With companies like Losi and Armma the vehicles are ready to run and they come with everything even the transmitter (what some people call the radio) and the receiver. All that you need to supply are lipo batteries, lipo charging bag, and the charger.

no matter your choice, make sure you have fun.

Papabear