Stuck sliding carburettor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flicky79

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have recently added a hyper 18 engine to my RC Car that i have had for many years. I have completed the break in, but having some issues with the carburettor slide. At times it wont open (Slide) easily, some times it wont open, then when it occasionally stays open, It then wont reset when I apply the break. When using a throttle return spring, it wont Allow the linkage to open the slide. When i pull the barrel by hand it does have some resistance. I have pulled the carbie down twice, cleaned it up and realigned to ensure the linkage is parallel to the barrel, with not much success. Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2350AA83-B740-4E0D-BC5B-59BA30955D78.jpeg
    2350AA83-B740-4E0D-BC5B-59BA30955D78.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 171
I have recently added a hyper 18 engine to my RC Car that i have had for many years. I have completed the break in, but having some issues with the carburettor slide. At times it wont open (Slide) easily, some times it wont open, then when it occasionally stays open, It then wont reset when I apply the break. When using a throttle return spring, it wont Allow the linkage to open the slide. When i pull the barrel by hand it does have some resistance. I have pulled the carbie down twice, cleaned it up and realigned to ensure the linkage is parallel to the barrel, with not much success. Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You might need to purchase the other style carb to make that work ,there is another style carb with different arm ,old style!

Or relocate the servo closer to the side of the engine if there is room ,like the one that I have here in this pic!

That's some weird linkage. Kind of looks like the car was intended to use a rotary carb.

Instead of using a curved wire, can you spin the arm on the carb down so it's almost on the same plane as the crankshaft, then flip the slide over on the linkage so it's close to the carb and use a straight piece of wire instead of one with a curve in it? Kind of like how a t-maxx has it.

Wish I could find a better photo of it, but I think what you need is to have the wire opening the carb and the carb barrel parallel to one another. Having a curve in the wire like that allows flex/side load more than it would if it was a straight wire.
WKdi94x.jpg

I've had a few composite carbs and they are always fussy and bind unless you get the linkage just perfect.

This photo is a little better:
LTK6Uz3.jpg

Hi guys, thank you for your feedback and ideas, i really appreciate it. The linkage is actually in line with the instructions when I built it many years ago, with the old motor I no issue and it ran fine. I have tried to Redesign the linkage to have a wire with a straight pull, but I still had the same issue where it wouldn’t open. I am wondering if I have an issue with the barrel? Plus maybe a stronger servo? thanks again for your help.

Hi guys, thank you for your feedback and ideas, i really appreciate it. The linkage is actually in line with the instructions when I built it many years ago, with the old motor I no issue and it ran fine. I have tried to Redesign the linkage to have a wire with a straight pull, but I still had the same issue where it wouldn’t open. I am wondering if I have an issue with the barrel? Plus maybe a stronger servo? thanks again for your help.

The straight rod that goes to the yellow horn might can go direct to the carb if the rod was longer & threaded ,the carb
can be turned in relation to it ,a more direct linkage would have a stronger throw!
1598887214453.png

What I will do is to put some after run oil to the carb and that should make it easier to move. Next thing to do is a get a more powerful servo. Another thing to try is to reverse the linkage on the servo horn and then reverse the throttle on the radio.

[/QUOT

Check the Linkages are straight and not pushing/pulling at funny angles preferably not lower or higher, it could be the Slider is a bit Sh!ted up, off happened to me many times so unscrew the idle and take out the barrel, use very Fine wet n dry paper and run it over make it nice n smooth, clean any dust off it, use a drop after run oil or any will suffice, put it back together and it should be good to go

Now the carburetor without the radio and put can you physically move it and close it when the engine runs?

I'm trying to stand what this is about is your carburetor physically stuck or does it stick to the place where when you throttle it it doesn't return back to idle in a neutral opening position?

Wow. That's a weird set up like Olds said. You sure that's the correct carb for that engine bud?. That linkage definitely doesn't look rite. And won't allow your carb slide to slide in and out smoothly.. its probably binding it up.. not allowing it to slide straight.. the linkage should be straight connected to the carb not a linkage that's bent like that.. like the guys said above Baker and Olds... due you have a rotating carb?
Wow. That's a weird set up like Olds said. You sure that's the correct carb for that engine bud?. That linkage definitely doesn't look rite. And won't allow your carb slide to slide in and out smoothly.. its probably binding it up.. not allowing it to slide straight.. the linkage should be straight connected to the carb not a linkage that's bent like that.. like the guys said above Baker and Olds... due you have a rotating carb
A stronger servo isn't the issue. It's the way the linkage is.. it needs to be a straight parallel to the slide carb. Did you try turning the carb. And try to get the angle straighten out to the linkage? Try and get a better straight push on it??

Wow. That's a weird set up like Olds said. You sure that's the correct carb for that engine bud?. That linkage definitely doesn't look rite. And won't allow your carb slide to slide in and out smoothly.. its probably binding it up.. not allowing it to slide straight.. the linkage should be straight connected to the carb not a linkage that's bent like that.. like the guys said above Baker and Olds... due you have a rotating carb?

Wow. That's a weird set up like Olds said. You sure that's the correct carb for that engine bud?. That linkage definitely doesn't look rite. And won't allow your carb slide to slide in and out smoothly.. its probably binding it up.. not allowing it to slide straight.. the linkage should be straight connected to the carb not a linkage that's bent like that.. like the guys said above Baker and Olds... due you have a rotating carb

A stronger servo isn't the issue. It's the way the linkage is.. it needs to be a straight parallel to the slide carb. Did you try turning the carb. And try to get the angle straighten out to the linkage? Try and get a better straight push on it??
old thread bro :p

old thread bro :p
Awesome and I was just looking threw the latest posts Oh because the new guy posted up that's why it went in the latest threads.... Dam idiot I am... l'm a as*shat.... oh well

Back