Stripped Spur Gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputybill705

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Good afternoon everyone. I have a Traxxas Revo with a 3.3 and forward only tranny. I have had this truck for 3 years with no problem. In the last week I have stripped 2 spur gears. I have checked the engine clutch bell, it spins freely. The bearing inside the spur gear is brand new and spins smooth. Motor mount bolts are all tight. The gear mesh was set correctly. I have six other nitros and I set there gear mesh the same way. What am I missing? All suggestions are welcome. I am at a lost. Thanks in advance for your help.

Did it strip while you were running your Revo or did it strip while it was just idling. If you were running it the time you stripped it, its possible some kind of debris got into it and caused it to strip. Also possible if you did a big jump and landed on one side first it might have been enough to tweak and twist the alignment slightly and just enough to strip it.

I did strip it when I was running it. I did do a couple jumps but nothing big and landed on all 4 tires during the jumps.

Check the engine mount braces. They crack, but don't fall off. Also check the chassis near the engine bay for cracks. The revo chassis/engine mount setup is a pain to keep from flexing/breaking over time. Not so much with a small block though, but still something to look at. I've busted the engine braces and cracked my chassis in the past. I run the M2C brace now on my big block revo and haven't had much issue since the install.
2016-0531_RevoBBEngineBrace.jpg

I just use the traxxas brace plate on my 21Tm revo.
2016-0531_RevoSBEngineBrace.jpg

Thank you I will check that. Thank you for your help.

I want to thank everyone for their help. Tore the truck down and found my engine mount was broken. Is their an upgrade for the engine mount? Once again thanks everyone for your help.

I'm glad you were able to find the culprit before you wasted more spurs. I'm not a Revo expert but I'm sure one of the Revo veterans here can provide you the info you need. Even on my TMaxx the motor mount was one of the first thing I replaced.

I want to thank everyone for their help. Tore the truck down and found my engine mount was broken. Is their an upgrade for the engine mount? Once again thanks everyone for your help.
I haven't found a good one. If you could find one made out of 6061 and was CNC'd vs cast, that would be better. As it is, I have a CNC'd cradle in my big block revo, but still use the cast supports that go to the bulkhead. On my 21Tm revo, I use the stock cradle and supports. The M2C brace has helped on my big block. Spreads the load a bit more.

Back