STL file sharing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wdMod

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
Just wondering if there is a way to set up a STL file depository for forum members so we could share files without having to use other places as a depository.. A couple of 3d printing groups I joined on FB do this and it makes things so nice to be able to share files directly for a project instead of linking to Thangs or Thingiverse, or cults etc.. It also gives good reasons for people to join the forum..

I totally agree with this idea. Not sure how feasable it would be for @WoodiE to implement it, but if it could be done easy enough, I would definitely make use of it. And I agree, it might bring people here. I search for STL's in Google all the time, and if these files were able to be found by Google, it would lead people here.

I shared a lot of stuff on a couple FB groups when I first got into WPL trucks. I do share some things on Thingiverse, but there are files I would share here that I wouldn't share anywhere else just because I have some custom things that I only share with friends.

I vote to add this feature! MB limit would probably limit us. Perhaps a google drive linked to members to utilize free jiggabytes.

Just wondering if there is a way to set up a STL file depository for forum members so we could share files without having to use other places as a depository.. A couple of 3d printing groups I joined on FB do this and it makes things so nice to be able to share files directly for a project instead of linking to Thangs or Thingiverse, or cults etc.. It also gives good reasons for people to join the forum..

Might be easiest to set up a group on Thingiverse or another. I would probably go with Thingiverse since most people that print are probably on there in some way and the interface seems more reliable than Cults.

Might be easiest to set up a group on Thingiverse or another. I would probably go with Thingiverse since most people that print are probably on there in some way and the interface seems more reliable than Cults.
Trying to avoid thingiverse like the plague.. If anything FB groups already has this feature, but trying to keep toy car stuff places like here and not other places like FB , kinda the entire point of asking if it could be done here instead of thingiverse or cults or my minifactory

Trying to avoid thingiverse like the plague.. If anything FB groups already has this feature, but trying to keep toy car stuff places like here and not other places like FB .

Any particular reason to avoid Thingiverse? I'm pretty new to 3D printing so any suggestions or reasons to avoid a place will be noted.

Any particular reason to avoid Thingiverse? I'm pretty new to 3D printing so any suggestions or reasons to avoid a place will be noted.
Thingiverse has had problems over the years. Things like the site going down, not being able to update your listings, and the fact that Chinese companies like to grab designs off there and make them to sell. I stopped putting 90% of my designs up there after Creality took my support rod design for the CR10 and started selling it. Other users there also take your designs and sell them on ebay.

Thingiverse has had problems over the years. Things like the site going down, not being able to update your listings, and the fact that Chinese companies like to grab designs off there and make them to sell. I stopped putting 90% of my designs up there after Creality took my support rod design for the CR10 and started selling it. Other users there also take your designs and sell them on ebay.

I would have assumed that would be a problem with any of the free files places.

I've had to explain to a couple guys in a local RC group that I can't just mass produce and sell them the stuff I've made for myself without getting permission and/or paying for licensing.

The seller is usually aware they are doing something wrong, buyers are unfortunately usually unaware they are paying someone for a part that person doesn't have the rights to sell.

I'll post any remixes I do to where I found the original but if I design something that people want where is the best place to post it for sale? Cults or Etsy?

EDIT: I am very mindful of this because my boss has had a couple of designs stolen in the time I've worked for him for 1:1 offroad stuff.

I would have assumed that would be a problem with any of the free files places.

I've had to explain to a couple guys in a local RC group that I can't just mass produce and sell them the stuff I've made for myself without getting permission and/or paying for licensing.

The seller is usually aware they are doing something wrong, buyers are unfortunately usually unaware they are paying someone for a part that person doesn't have the rights to sell.

I'll post any remixes I do to where I found the original but if I design something that people want where is the best place to post it for sale? Cults or Etsy?

EDIT: I am very mindful of this because my boss has had a couple of designs stolen in the time I've worked for him for 1:1 offroad stuff.
I have used Cults and like the various types of licensing for selling files.. The waiting period for the funds to clear is reasonable.. payment is via paypal .. Yeah people need to read the licensing when they buy files..
seeing your work lifted by a major company is nice isnt it??LOL A huge ataboy and a kick to the gonads all in the same stroke..

I have used Cults and like the various types of licensing for selling files.. The waiting period for the funds to clear is reasonable.. payment is via paypal .. Yeah people need to read the licensing when they buy files..

seeing your work lifted by a major company is nice isnt it??LOL A huge ataboy and a kick to the gonads all in the same stroke..
Well, they gave me a CR10 S5, which was a $1000 printer at the time. But the fact that they already had my design for sale on their website before contacting me was pretty poor business practice I thought.

Well, they gave me a CR10 S5, which was a $1000 printer at the time. But the fact that they already had my design for sale on their website before contacting me was pretty poor business practice I thought.
We deal with it a fair amount in the off road business since we're not just a bolt on shop and do custom mounts and brackets regularly.

Part of it in that industry is there are only so many ways to put a compressor under the hood of a Tacoma so designs are going to be similar. But my boss did a quick design on a fuel tank holder that another company almost directly ripped off. Funny part was they don't have the engineering skills he has so they built something off of a hastily built prototype and it's trash. Rattles and doesn't fit together well.

I thought my boss was going to have a seizure when he saw it on their website. Then when he saw it in person he felt bad anyone was paying them for it and redesigned his better.

We deal with it a fair amount in the off road business since we're not just a bolt on shop and do custom mounts and brackets regularly.

Part of it in that industry is there are only so many ways to put a compressor under the hood of a Tacoma so designs are going to be similar. But my boss did a quick design on a fuel tank holder that another company almost directly ripped off. Funny part was they don't have the engineering skills he has so they built something off of a hastily built prototype and it's trash. Rattles and doesn't fit together well.

I thought my boss was going to have a seizure when he saw it on their website. Then when he saw it in person he felt bad anyone was paying them for it and redesigned his better.
Anytime you make something cool, someone is going to try to capitalize off of it either by directly stealing your design, or redesigning it to look like they didn't steal it. It's a shame really.

Anytime you make something cool, someone is going to try to capitalize off of it either by directly stealing your design, or redesigning it to look like they didn't steal it. It's a shame really.
Make me some more stuff that I can steal! :hehe:

so speaking of files etc.. Normally when I develop something that sells I recoup my development costs as much as possible , then turn the files over to the masses.. So of course these are free non commercial, no derivatives,.. That being said , the cold months are coming so I made both my 1/24 top fuel design and 1/24 pan car design stl's FREE on Cults. Complete parts list in the cults listings.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/csrc-1-24-r-c-top-fuel-car
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/1-24-r-c-pan-car-set-by-csrc
20210721_200750.jpg
20211229_115358.jpg

so speaking of files etc.. Normally when I develop something that sells I recoup my development costs as much as possible , then turn the files over to the masses.. So of course these are free non commercial, no derivatives,.. That being said , the cold months are coming so I made both my 1/24 top fuel design and 1/24 pan car design stl's FREE on Cults. Complete parts list in the cults listings.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/csrc-1-24-r-c-top-fuel-car
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/1-24-r-c-pan-car-set-by-csrc
View attachment 152024View attachment 152025
Those are sweet. Hmmm, might have a winter printing project.

I reached out to a guy whose design I pretty much entirely reworked about licensing to sell because a couple people in a local group asked about buying one. He emailed me a release for Creative Commons Attribution only so I'm good to make and sell if I want.

I'm pretty touchy about the licensing, designing something that not only works but is somewhat durable is work, people should be compensated for their work if they want to be.

I want to buy 3D printer.

Back