Stiffer suspension springs or shock preloads?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have added about 1kg more weight to my RC car and I was wondering whether to get stiffer springs from a other vehicle that weighs about the same as mine with all the extra weight and put the stiffer springs off that car on to mine or just buy some shock preloads and put them on to my shocks?😀🧐

Also just wondering if 40 to 50wt shock oil would be good in a 1\10 SCT that weighs about 3kg to 3.2kg just for general bashing?😀

Cheers,

Answer to both your questions: it depends! But generally, yes, 1kg of added weight should warrant stiffer springs, and 40ish wt is the general go-to weight for 1/10 RCs, I think I used 50 in my Slash 4x4, but that very much depends on the shocks, suspension design and piston hole number/diameter. One thing you can do to make the car "think" it's got heavier springs is mount the shocks on the most outer positions if you have that option (closest to wheels). Leverage and all that.

Answer to both your questions: it depends! But generally, yes, 1kg of added weight should warrant stiffer springs, and 40ish wt is the general go-to weight for 1/10 RCs, I think I used 50 in my Slash 4x4, but that very much depends on the shocks, suspension design and piston hole number/diameter. One thing you can do to make the car "think" it's got heavier springs is mount the shocks on the most outer positions if you have that option (closest to wheels). Leverage and all that.
Awesome!

Thanks😀

You have sprung weight and unsprung. Sprung is any weight on the springs. Unsprung is any weight on the tires.

So if you add 1 lbs to axle the springs will be unaffected and you may need stiffer tire foams. Where if you put a 1 lbs of weight on the chassis it adds to both.

I alway measure ride height prior to adding parts. Then you can add tension to the springs to get it back. If I get past half the shock body trying to adjust ride height I’ll switch out to a stiffer spring. I always want my collar in the 3/4 or height range. That’s just my preference.

If it seems springy after that, I will go with thicker shock fluid. If still wobbly, thicker fluid. If the suspension seems sluggish after that I’ll open up the piston holes or add another.

If you don’t have the threaded shock bodies I’d get the pre loads like you mentioned or see if someone has a set. Lot of kits come with them.

That’s how I tune my trucks and crawlers. Buggies and short course I watch the body roll and adjust from that. I don’t want the chassis dipping in the dirt but I don’t want it to not lay over either.

On the general bashing I adjust til I’m not chassis slapping medium jumps. Chassis slap on the big jumps keeps from blowing a shock seal. So knee high drop no/minimal slap. Waist drop, should here slap. That’s how my maxx and slash are set up.

Those are just how I do it. Does not make it law.

You have sprung weight and unsprung. Sprung is any weight on the springs. Unsprung is any weight on the tires.

So if you add 1 lbs to axle the springs will be unaffected and you may need stiffer tire foams. Where if you put a 1 lbs of weight on the chassis it adds to both.

I alway measure ride height prior to adding parts. Then you can add tension to the springs to get it back. If I get past half the shock body trying to adjust ride height I’ll switch out to a stiffer spring. I always want my collar in the 3/4 or height range. That’s just my preference.

If it seems springy after that, I will go with thicker shock fluid. If still wobbly, thicker fluid. If the suspension seems sluggish after that I’ll open up the piston holes or add another.

If you don’t have the threaded shock bodies I’d get the pre loads like you mentioned or see if someone has a set. Lot of kits come with them.

That’s how I tune my trucks and crawlers. Buggies and short course I watch the body roll and adjust from that. I don’t want the chassis dipping in the dirt but I don’t want it to not lay over either.

On the general bashing I adjust til I’m not chassis slapping medium jumps. Chassis slap on the big jumps keeps from blowing a shock seal. So knee high drop no/minimal slap. Waist drop, should here slap. That’s how my maxx and slash are set up.

Those are just how I do it. Does not make it law.
Awesome advise!!!!

Thanks😀😀😀

Back