Steering servo upgrade fail?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgra2951

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey team,
Tonight I upgraded/installed my stock steering servo to a Spektrum S6040 one. Now, my old steering parts wont fit on the teeth (mesh together). I can't seem to figure out how to find out what I need. I'm ready to get her out, and have seen some upgraded steering parts on google, but am unsure of what I need to get. I tried to force the gears together, but when I do a hard stop they just break apart. Please help me. I am frustrated. The servo was expensive, and now I can't even get her out after a long winter. It says this servo is for a 1/10 scale. is this the reason that it wont fit together or can i just upgrade the linkage? HELP!!!

It sounds to me like you have the wrong spline count on the servo arm. The fine spline that attaches it to the servo...called "spline count" The stock HPI servos are (I think, as mine were long gone when I got my truck) 25, and it looks like Spektrum uses 23. Your old servo arm will never fit on this...but all you need to do is get another servo arm, or even make one work that might have come with your servo. Nothing to be too worried about!!

Got it! I think. It looks like the Savage came with extra spline count parts (or they came in a package that I bought) and also the screw that came with the new servo had a different thread count. So I had to put a washer on the end to make it hold tight. I am going to test tomorrow. Ill let you know!