Steel CVDs Don't fit!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwiztidDevil

RCTalk Rookie
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Hello guys as y'all know I've been working on my Tmaxx. It started as a 2.5 then after too much money I thought I was done.....then came the issues with the clutch bell, the tranny, and the diff's. I've been breaking axles so I figured I'd upgrade to steel cvds.....

I bought a 3.3 chassis that had transmission, diff's, axles, and driveshafts along with all suspension parts. Now this is probably going to sound dumb and shows just how much of a newb I still am. I have all RPM parts on my 2.5 along with many aluminum and titanium upgrades so I took the tranny, driveshafts, and added new 3.3 aluminum diffs. Then went to put in the steel cvds and I learn that the 2.5 is narrower than the 3.3. So I put all the suspension arms on the 2.5 from the 3.3 thinking that would solve my problem.....it didn't. I can't get the bulkheads to go back together, it looks and feels like the cvds are to long to fit. I've tried loosening the balls in the axle carriers but that only helped a little. The axles I bought are for a Tmaxx 3.3 from traxxas.

Can someone please help? I have included pictures of my issues.

Attachments

• 20200923_123707.jpg
    20200923_123707.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200923_123728.jpg
    20200923_123728.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 83
whats the only difference from 3.3 with oem gear case and new aluminum case ?the post leads me to think these?

whats the only difference from 3.3 with oem gear case and new aluminum case ?the post leads me to think these?
No the suspension arms are from a 2.5 which I discovered are shorter changed that to the 3.3 suspension arms. The RPM axle carriers are new to this truck also.

UPDATE--I was able to get it all together and seems to work just fine nothing binds and everything turns smoothly. However to do so I had to loosen the pivot balls until there's no more than 5-6 threads in. Seems like it will pull out first time its stressed. Sorry no pic, I'm on my way to work will include pic later.

i believe the hub carriers stick out further on the 3.3 is what is going on, IIRC the offset is greater on the 3.3 than the 2.5.

Hello guys as y'all know I've been working on my Tmaxx. It started as a 2.5 then after too much money I thought I was done.....then came the issues with the clutch bell, the tranny, and the diff's. I've been breaking axles so I figured I'd upgrade to steel cvds.....

I bought a 3.3 chassis that had transmission, diff's, axles, and driveshafts along with all suspension parts. Now this is probably going to sound dumb and shows just how much of a newb I still am. I have all RPM parts on my 2.5 along with many aluminum and titanium upgrades so I took the tranny, driveshafts, and added new 3.3 aluminum diffs. Then went to put in the steel cvds and I learn that the 2.5 is narrower than the 3.3. So I put all the suspension arms on the 2.5 from the 3.3 thinking that would solve my problem.....it didn't. I can't get the bulkheads to go back together, it looks and feels like the cvds are to long to fit. I've tried loosening the balls in the axle carriers but that only helped a little. The axles I bought are for a Tmaxx 3.3 from traxxas.

Can someone please help? I have included pictures of my issues.
Are the bulkheads from a 2.5 model? That may be a bit different.

I knew the 2.5 arms were longer than the .15 pro arms, but wasn't aware that the 3.3 arms were longer yet than the 2.5 arms. You sure you have 2.5 arms and not .15 pro arms?

I knew the 2.5 arms were longer than the .15 pro arms, but wasn't aware that the 3.3 arms were longer yet than the 2.5 arms. You sure you have 2.5 arms and not .15 pro arms?
i think the pro15 and the 2.5 had the same arms, 2.5R, and the 3.3 was the different one IIRC. really confusing with how many changes they made all at the same time lol

[ ] New Graphix Body
[ ] 30% Nitro Race Fuel
[ ] OS .21 TM ABC Motor
[ ] OS--2070 Monster Truck Exhaust
[ ] Robinson Racing Steel Spur Gear 72T
[ ] 3 Plate Clutch System
[ ] Slipper Clutch Eliminator
[ ] Savox 500 oz Waterproof Steering Servo
[ ] Traxxas 1600 Mah Receiver Pack
[ ] Traxxas Single Speed Conversion
[ ] Traxxas Steel CVDs
[ ] Stainless Steel Screw Kit
[ ] Titanium Front & Rear Skid Plates
[ ] Titanium Shock Springs
[ ] Titanium Hinge Pins
[ ] Titanium High Load Motor Screws
[ ] Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel
[ ] Aluminum Lower Brace
[ ] Aluminum Lower Skid Plate
[ ] Aluminum Motor Mount
[ ] Aluminum Throttle/Brake Servo Mounts
[ ] Aluminum Steering Servo Mounts
[ ] Aluminum Big Bore Shocks
[ ] Aluminum High Flow Air Cleaner
[ ] Aluminum Steering Bellcranks
[ ] Aluminum Servo Saver
[ ] Aluminum Fuel Filter
[ ] Aluminum Fuel Cooler
[ ] Aluminum Wheelie Bar Wheels
[ ] Aluminum Sealed Differentials
[ ] Traxxas Wheelie Bar
[ ] Traxxas Body Clip Retainers
[ ] RPM Bulkheads Front & Rear
[ ] RPM Suspension Arms Front & Rear
[ ] RPM Axle Carriers Front & Rear
[ ] RPM Shock Towers Front & Rear
[ ] RPM Crossbraces Front & Rear
[ ] RPM Rod Ends
[ ] 3.3 Transmission

Ok so let me start from the beginning. A few months ago I bought a 2.5 Tmaxx Classic. Shortly thereafter I broke a suspension arm and couldn't get my engine tuned. Plus I wanted faster so I bought the list of parts minus the cvds and 3.3 transmission and sealed diffs. After installing all the upgrades and the new OS engine I had no problems for about half a gallon then I broke an axle. I replaced it and broke another one and stripped the transmission. Thats when I bought a 3.3 rolling chassis and tried to put the transmission, driveshafts, steel axles and aluminum sealed diffs on the 2.5 effectively making it a 3.3 with an OS engine. That's where I'm at with it.

Attachments

• 20200821_120829.jpg
    20200821_120829.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200821_120744.jpg
    20200821_120744.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 89
if you have the 3.3 hub carriers/knuckles, try them on the truck, see if that fits correctly. they were re-designed, and i think they were widened.
truck looks great! hear nothing but amazing things about them O.S. .21TM engines.