Starting a engine for first time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
This vid is for people who dont understand why their engines are hard to start when they
get their first Nitro RC ,I will a show in another vid the process & steps to do the break-in
of a new engine ,once engines are broke in ,they become easier to start!

This vid is for people who dont understand why their engines are hard to start when they
get their first Nitro RC ,I will a show in another vid the process & steps to do the break-in
of a new engine ,once engines are broke in ,they become easier to start!

Thank you man. I am going to need this refresher course very soon!

Hey bro. I need to get a few things.
Engine heater, igniter, and fuel. What do you recommend?

The heat gun can be bought at a Harbor freight or Home depo type store at a reasonable price ,
igniter is a McDaniel glow igniter ,but Dynamite has a good one ,one with meter is the best ,lets
you know when plug is bad ,fuel ,could go with 20 to 30% nitro ,but oil content should be between
9 to 12% oil package ,any more than that ,you will have a hard time finding a good tune for performance!
Fuel brands that are good ,is Bones Brew ,SideWinder,Torrco ,Nitrothane ,Red Alert,S&W an Morgan among
a few others are good fuel as long as the oil content is 8 to 12 % ,Traxxas fuel is not good because of the
heavy oil content ,you will be chasing a good tune for performance because of the oil ,another words ,
Traxxas fuel is a damn good break-in fuel but not so good for performance!.. :cool:

The heat gun can be bought at a Harbor freight or Home depo type store at a reasonable price ,
igniter is a McDaniel glow igniter ,but Dynamite has a good one ,one with meter is the best ,lets
you know when plug is bad ,fuel ,could go with 20 to 30% nitro ,but oil content should be between
9 to 12% oil package ,any more than that ,you will have a hard time finding a good tune for performance!
Fuel brands that are good ,is Bones Brew ,SideWinder,Torrco ,Nitrothane ,Red Alert,S&W an Morgan among
a few others are good fuel as long as the oil content is 8 to 12 % ,Traxxas fuel is not good because of the
heavy oil content ,you will be chasing a good tune for performance because of the oil ,another words ,
Traxxas fuel is a damn good break-in fuel but not so good for performance!.. :cool:
I have a heat gun. I was referring to that cool block heater you got 😉

I have a heat gun. I was referring to that cool block heater you got 😉
I never used one of them. Just a heat gun. Odonnnells fuel is also a good one. I have a few glow igniters. The Dynamite is my go to these days..I love it.
16314033025422985633476638569512.jpg

Its by SkyRC ,head warmer ,but I was told that they only get to 80 deg. ,an temp gauge is
by EtekCity for about 32 bucks from Walmart!.. :thumbs-up:
Does that head hat really heat the casing?

I picked up a quart of Nitrotane fuel recently from the LHS. Only fuel they had in stock. Wasn’t to sure about using it till I saw your recommendation. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.👍🏻

I never used one of them. Just a heat gun. Odonnnells fuel is also a good one. I have a few glow igniters. The Dynamite is my go to these days..I love it. View attachment 132390

Does that head hat really heat the casing?

Head cover keeps the engines heat inside while break-in do to the very rich setting to keep temps
consistent around 200 to 220 deg. for lapping the piston & sleeve together!..:thumbs-up:
Here is the first tank ,I accidently forgot to tighten the plug so I had my rich settings off to even richer ,
but now I am on the right track!..:thumbs-up:

Head cover keeps the engines heat inside while break-in do to the very rich setting to keep temps
consistent around 200 to 220 deg. for lapping the piston & sleeve together!..:thumbs-up:
Here is the first tank ,I accidently forgot to tighten the plug so I had my rich settings off to even richer ,
but now I am on the right track!..:thumbs-up:

I forgot you idle break.. wonder if it would benefit the engine to let it roll on a belt. Create a little drag while idling?🤔🤔
I forgot you idle break.. wonder if it would benefit the engine to let it roll on a belt. Create a little drag while idling?🤔🤔
Sounds good though. That's the new nitro rite

First street run ,but need to bring it back out tomorrow morning an do some tuning ,was just
to hot outside at this time of the day to do so ,engine manual tuning is needle sets from factory
settings an tuned setting is not too far from each other they are only a half a turn apart ,another
words ,if you turn the needle in past that 1/2 a turn ,you went too far!.. :cool:

Back