Starter problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Robinson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Recently got my nitro car out that wife brought me new few years ago won’t start it’s either glow plug or starter is there a way to find out which it is ? Thanks in advance

Go to the manual..are carb setting the factory .glow plug working? glow igniter?. do the basic..new fuel?

Last edited:
Recently got my nitro car out that wife brought me new few years ago won’t start it’s either glow plug or starter is there a way to find out which it is ? Thanks in advance

I test my glow igniter by the little red light that is on the charger if your transformer wall charger has that ,
when you plug in the igniter ,the red light should come on ,ok ,if it comes on ,then you know that the igniter
has connection via through the battery ,as it is rare that a ni-cad battery just dies completely out an wont charge ,
ok ,if the light does not come on ,then it could a bad connection with the battery an the housing that the battery
sits in ,but if that is good ,then you want to take the glow plug out of the engine an stick it in the igniter ,look at
the inside of the plug ,if the plug is good ,it should heat up an give a orange glow an you will have a little smoke
come off of it!
If not ,then your glow plug is dead ,if uncertain about them ,just buy another glow plug charger & igniter an
new glow plug ,it is always nice to have two around ,I have two an they are over 10 yrs old an still work!

I hope this helps!...:cool: