Stampede 2wd Trani problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1OleHuey

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Doesn’t move. Just chatters. Gear mesh is on. Spur gear nut tight. Teeth on spur okay. Took diff apart & all gears okay. Gear lube though was all dried up. Any thoughts. Trying to help the G-son

Doesn’t move. Just chatters. Gear mesh is on. Spur gear nut tight. Teeth on spur okay. Took diff apart & all gears okay. Gear lube though was all dried up. Any thoughts. Trying to help the G-son
You might want to check the bearings, they may be seized.

There are multiple failure points within every RC. Since you seem to have checked the obvious ones - pinion, spur, diff, it may be something like the pin on a dogbone axle has broken, or if it has driveshafts, the splines in one of the driveshafts could be worn down.

But back to the diff, did you actually pull the diff case apart and inspect the gears inside? Just opening the diff housing and inspecting the ring and bevel pinion in there isn't all that can be wrong. The diff will come apart (most RC's) and inside is a set of spider gears that can get damaged.

Also, I just looked through the manual. It looks like it has a slipper clutch. When those go bad, you need to rebuild them and reset them.
Screenshot_20211023-105938_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to check if one of the drive pins in the transmission has been broken or has fallen out since that would cause the transmission to slip. Another possibility could be that the sun gear inside the diff is stripped/damaged (if you haven't checked the gears inside the diff yet).

Is the pinion and spur even moving at all? For example does the pinion move and try and put pressure on the spur gear but the spur gear doesn't spin? If so then proceed checking the things mentioned above. If the pinion doesn't even attempt to move the spur gear then take the pinion off of the motor and see if the motor shaft spins.

Diff gears are okay. The lube is all dried up. What kind of lube can we use

I use Synthetic automotive grease. Any brand will work but I like Mobil 1

547866_409531579059635_571879825_n.jpg

**WARNING** Don’t use a petroleum based grease, it will eat at the plastic and degrade it. Use a lithium based grease.

"Lithium-based lubricants are used in cars and machinery in general. It's not advisable to use them on plastic parts. As lithium is based on petroleum, it tends to speed up rubber and plastic components decay."

That being said Mobil 1 uses lithium as a thickener and I've been using it for over a decade in my diffs and transmissions. I havent had any issues with it so far.

"Lithium-based lubricants are used in cars and machinery in general. It's not advisable to use them on plastic parts. As lithium is based on petroleum, it tends to speed up rubber and plastic components decay."

That being said Mobil 1 uses lithium as a thickener and I've been using it for over a decade in my diffs and transmissions. I havent had any issues with it so far.
Traxxas uses a lithium or white lithium, and years ago the forum reccommended it

I used it with no issues also.

There are multiple failure points within every RC. Since you seem to have checked the obvious ones - pinion, spur, diff, it may be something like the pin on a dogbone axle has broken, or if it has driveshafts, the splines in one of the driveshafts could be worn down.

But back to the diff, did you actually pull the diff case apart and inspect the gears inside? Just opening the diff housing and inspecting the ring and bevel pinion in there isn't all that can be wrong. The diff will come apart (most RC's) and inside is a set of spider gears that can get damaged.

Also, I just looked through the manual. It looks like it has a slipper clutch. When those go bad, you need to rebuild them and reset them.
View attachment 135458
how to tell if slipper clutch bad ?? Okay, w/o tires you can barely hold both shafts at once. Shafts turn, spur turns but won't turn tires. With tires on just sits & chatters. Pulled diff apart - main shaft gear is good, pin holding main shaft good, 4 gears good. The diff lube was all dried up. cleaned it out but didn't add any lube. Still sits & chatters. Slipper clutch pads-2 are chipped but not worn down. Spur teeth also are good. wtf !!!!!
how to tell if slipper clutch bad ?? Okay, w/o tires you can barely hold both shafts at once. Shafts turn, spur turns but won't turn tires. With tires on just sits & chatters. Pulled diff apart - main shaft gear is good, pin holding main shaft good, 4 gears good. The diff lube was all dried up. cleaned it out but didn't add any lube. Still sits & chatters. Slipper clutch pads-2 are chipped but not worn down. Spur teeth also are good. wtf !!!!!

Pics would help here. The more the better. And make sure before you run the car, put some synthetic grease in the diff gears.

If all the gears inside the transmission and the diff are good, Slipper is good, all bearings in the transmission, diff, and wheel hubs are good, Driveshafts are good, Spur gear is good, and Pinion is good, then Id start looking at the motor.

If all the gears inside the transmission and the diff are good, Slipper is good, all bearings in the transmission, diff, and wheel hubs are good, Driveshafts are good, Spur gear is good, and Pinion is good, then Id start looking at the motor.
That's pretty much it lol

If it’s a brushed motor, those have to be maintained and cleaned much more often than brushless motors. Also, if you run it in mud or snow, it will kill the motor quickly.