spur/pinion set up for new carnage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ped_mcg87

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I'm upgrading my brushed carnage to brushless and I would like some options on what spur/pinion gears I should use i have an 3800kv brushless motor to put in

Not familiar with that truck, but a good rule of thumb is to start with the stock gear ratio and check motor temps using an infrared temp gun after a quick full speed pass. Repeat and check again, repeat, etc. If the temp gets near 160°F, stop and lower your pinion size. If it stays well below 160°F, give her a few good high speed blasts. If it is still good, go up a tooth on the pinion and retest.

Unless someone actually has the same truck, and same setup as you, their setup might not work for your setup. A 3800kv brand X motor will not perform the same as a 3800kv brand Y motor.

Last edited:
kl thanks ill try that see how i get on

One thing you can do is buy a set of pinions and work your way up like @WickedFog mentioned. Temps can be a huge deal breaker and burn it up.

Back