Spur gear size information

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoke RC group

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I know I post here most of the time about gearing problems and questions, I am happy to say my other problems have been fixed! I am here today to ask about spur gear sizes and what the benefit of a smaller spur gear does over a larger pinion gear as I am experimenting with setups on my Volcano EPX. My setup currently is a 2600kv 3660 with 26/64 gearing (pinion recently became a 25t while driving) and I am looking at different spur gears now, so I'd love to know if a smaller spur is better or not and why

its about gear ratio.. that is all.. you change gearing to achieve FDR that final drive ratio.us that race try to achieve the MOST outa our electronics.ex. I dont run my esc above 100degree F in summer and keep my batteries just above room temp(15) and my motor never hits 110F...while other push the temp envelope..battery 135 motor 140 esc 120

its about gear ratio.. that is all.. you change gearing to achieve FDR that final drive ratio.us that race try to achieve the MOST outa our electronics.ex. I dont run my esc above 100degree F in summer and keep my batteries just above room temp(15) and my motor never hits 110F...while other push the temp envelope..battery 135 motor 140 esc 120
So would it be not much more beneficial to put a smaller spur gear rather than a larger pinion?

It's the same really. The difference is when you change the smaller of the two gears, it has a larger impact. Going up or down 1 tooth on the pinion would be like going up or down 2-3 teeth on the spur (depending on the size difference).

It's the same really. The difference is when you change the smaller of the two gears, it has a larger impact. Going up or down 1 tooth on the pinion would be like going up or down 2-3 teeth on the spur (depending on the size difference).
Ah, I get it. So there are no real pro's and cons between both. Thanks for the help!

Not really. Other than the spur changes can be done to get you exactly where you want it, kind of like fine tuning. Change the bell for the broad strokes, then the spur to dial in exactly what you want.

Back