spur gear melting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgra2951

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, I have a problem, and have had many solutions found here. I just recently replaced the tires with the trencher tires. I keep burning my slipper pads up, I mean not only the pad, but the plastic in the gear too. I went and bought a new clutch skipper disk, and the backing plate, as well as a new spur gear and slipper pad. About one tank and the gear was stripped out. U am so frustrated. Do they sell a heavy duty clutch? Have any of you had this problem? Now to be clear this is not a mesh issue, my mesh is great. Please, any input would be great. Thanks in advance guys..

If you know you have a good mesh then your slipper is set too loose. Slipping causes a lot of friction which will heat up and melt it.

I agree with rolex. Too loose is bad. I've had it happen before as well. I keep mine tight enough to where i can barely turn the spur by hand with the slipper clutch locked in place with a 2mm hex in the fins. Havnt had any issues out of it since.

Had it really tight. Do you think if I tighten it all the way that it will hurt it, also thinking that the spring could be bad? Is any of this possible?

Last edited:
Not stripping the gears in the spur.. Been down that road already many times. When I spin it makes a good sound, its not binding up at all..

Attachments

• IMAG0197.jpg
    IMAG0197.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 347
Actually my book says tighten completely then back off 1/8-1/4 turn. I go with 1/8.

Have you done anything to the metal plate? Clean it well and scuff it up with sand paper before installing another spur.

Just went today and got brand new plate. Gonna try to put it super tight and only back it off a little. Send updates as soon as I get it back up.

Ok, got a new spring kit for the spur gear, took the clutch plate to work and ran it on a buffer wheel. I also bought a set of Big Bore shocks while I was out.. I have a question now thou, When I took the top of the trans off, there was quite a bit of grease in there. I havent replaced any of it and have had the top off several times. Is the grease supposed to be heavy? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks for the imputs!

UPDATE! So, I put new spring, slipper plate, backing plate, nut, everything. Tightened it up tight and backed off half turn. Ran it for awhile then the slipper pad melted off again. What happens is the Motor won't shift into second gear right after I put new clutch pad, but then it will start after motor warms up. Then ill be all happy that its fixed, and BAM it won't be shifting anymore. So, then I know that the pad is slipping up. Before long its done. What is also happenning is that the brass bearing is pushing into the gear from where it is gettin so hot. I have to beat the bearing out because the plastic is infused into it. Like I said, this just started after the new trencher tires were installed.. but I don't think they are the problem. I also have grease in the gearbox, which the more that I look around should be clean. Could this be an issue? Has anyone seen this problem? Could I be running to hot? Please give me some input team.. thanks!

Last edited:
After 2 tanks of gas or so.. I just put a new gear into it again. If this doesn't work its for sale..

Attachments

• IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 252
What rig do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Savage X 4.6 I just adjusted the shift point out to shift sooner, thinking, hoping, praying that the engine is running too hot because of the shift time. I dont know what to do here. I am so frustrated. Cleaned out the grease from the tranny, hoping that that was the right move as well. Going to try to get it out today. If it strips out the pad again, well its gone.

Well it just sounds like its too loose to me but they make ceramic pads and a heavy duty spur gear for the 4.6. I remember u asked about it. Both cab be had from tower hobbies.

I crank mine down all the way and use blue loctite. Never had a problem with them.

Your running too tall of gearing for the tires.

I had that issue when I installed an LRP28S3 in my savage when running revo 3.3 tires.

47/16 was too tall even though the engine could easily push it. I did what you did and finally realized what I had to do, change gearing. I ended up changing to 49/16, which is just enough to lighten the torque the slipper has to deal with. It makes it even more of a wheelie monster, but holds up just fine now for hour after hour of running. Trenchers are even larger than the tires I'm running, so you may have to go even lower with gearing.

Either lower your gearing or get a steel spur that can handle the slipping without melting it. Or put smaller tires back on.

Metal spur will work but you run the risk of destroying your drive train. If it doesn't give something else may...

Not sure about the 4.6, but on the older savage 25 I had the same exact issue. I had confirmed I had zero slippage on the slipper setup, but was still melting spurs left and right. I replace the factory clutch bell with a vented setup to allow the trapped heat to dissipate, along with carbon shoes and not teflon which was OEM, and never had another issue.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Not sure about the 4.6, but on the older savage 25 I had the same exact issue. I had confirmed I had zero slippage on the slipper setup, but was still melting spurs left and right. I replace the factory clutch bell with a vented setup to allow the trapped heat to dissipate, along with carbon shoes and not teflon which was OEM, and never had another issue.

You changed your clutch and bell to the same tooth count and it fixed your spur burning through the slipper pad and melting?

Or did you melt the spurs teeth off?

Back