Spektrum smart lipo question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbob0317

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased a Spektrum smart charger (S 2100) and 2 - 4s 2200mAh smart lipos (SPMX22004s30). When I connect the lipos to the charger, it says that the balance lead is not detected. I have tried every orientation of plugging it in with the same message appearing each time. I also notice that when I plug the balance lead into a cell checker, the screen is blank. My bottom line question is: what is the purpose of the balance lead if I can't use it to charge on my smart charger, and can't use it to check the cells in the pack. I noticed that the G2 version of the same pack doesn't have a balance lead at all. This is my first attempt at using the smart technology, but I'm not new to electric power, so excuse me if I'm missing something simple.
Thanks!

I've seen the same complaint about that charger and the 4 cells id contact Spektrum will your issue,,

I just tried a balance charge on a non-smart charger, and all 4 cells are showing, so the balance lead seems to be working properly. I sent an email to Spektrum, so I'm waiting to hear what they have to say.....

to me id say its a factory defect in charger..I have zero faith in Spektrum even back when they took over JR..

Smart technology doesn't seem to be a smart choice lately. Been more and more problems popping up. Could just be the law of averages but as everything else in life, if you take the easy route, it never seems so easy when your done.

Ok, here's a weird update.....I plugged both smart lipos into a non-smart charger again, and I got a under voltage message on both of them
, so I wasn't able to charge them. I know you're not supposed to , but I charged them as NiMh batteries for about 3 minutes each. That broughtr the voltage up high enough that I was then able to charge them as normal lipos with the balance lead connected, and they came up to a full charge. Now, I can use a cell checker on the balance lead, and there are no issues. Just for the heck of it, I plugged them into the Smart charger, and now it recognizes the balance lead, and shows the correct voltage for each cell. I'm not so sure that I trust the Smart technology after that fiasco!

@rcbob0317 Now that you mention it I have read that someone else did that with the same results. I had totally forgotten that. I'm sticking to old school chargers, at least I know what they are doing.

I have a hard time understanding why you decided to go with smart batteries and charger if you already have regular batteries and standard charger. The smart stuff is made to be idiot proof, and is for beginners the way I see it. But I don't even recommend them to beginners. The smart stuff takes away the need for the beginner to learn about lipo safety, by making it plug and play. To me... that doesn't make them safer. It's just creating a generation of people that aren't educated about lipo safety and care.

I tend to stay away from anything that claims to be smart. Some of that stuff is far from universal and I don't care to stick with one particular brand of battery.

I tend to stay away from anything that claims to be smart. Some of that stuff is far from universal and I don't care to stick with one particular brand of battery.
That is the other concern I have. Proprietary has no place in my RC collection when it comes to batteries. To put anything into the mix that has no flexibility just takes away from the fun of RC.

Traxxas has a way with that as well but at least with it I built adapters.

Seems there is a growing push in the industry to create battery / charger combos leveraging 'smart' technology. And, while about it, create their own proprietary connector system.

All about cornering the market as opposed to helping the RCer and the hobby.

I looked at cutting over to 'smart' technology until I began reading some of the issues beginning to show up. My concern is that the independent battery suppliers will either dry up or get bought out forcing 'smart' technology on the consumer whether it is wanted or not.

Regards, 'AC'

I have a hard time understanding why you decided to go with smart batteries and charger if you already have regular batteries and standard charger. The smart stuff is made to be idiot proof, and is for beginners the way I see it. But I don't even recommend them to beginners. The smart stuff takes away the need for the beginner to learn about lipo safety, by making it plug and play. To me... that doesn't make them safer. It's just creating a generation of people that aren't educated about lipo safety and care.
I'm not giving up my regular batteries and charger by any means! I just thought that I would give these a try, and see if I like them. So far, I would say "NO!"

i dont like spectrum bateries for 2 reasons
1, too expensive
2. you can find better reliable batteries online.
i always stick to regular batteries like gensacearespammers

you can bump up to low cells with one of these in nimh mode just watch the voltage.
single cell ballance plug.jpg

Back