Do I need to discharge these batteries?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Newbie here, following up on a previous thread of mine, but with a different tack.

Today I went flying and used up all three of my Spektrum G2 Smart batteries. (Congratulate me, I made several landings for the first time and didn't crash, although some weren't all that pretty.) Anyway, after putting them on the battery checker, it seems like they have ended up with a pretty good voltage for storage. See all three attached pics. (I have the storage voltage for these batteries set at 3.8V.) I know the percentage charged is a bit low, but from what I have read, that is less important than the voltage.

So I am wondering if I really need to put them on my Spektrum charger and select the "Discharge" function, since they are already discharged to a safe level. BTW, when I did that for the first battery, the charger came back and said it would take 95 minutes to discharge. So I am thinking the charger sees that it's already discharged to a safe level anyway.

Also, just FYI, all my batteries are set to self-discharge after 72 hours anyway to the designated discharge voltage (3.8V).

Battery1 - after flying - 031324.jpg

Battery2 - after flying - 031324.jpg

Battery3 - after flying - 031324.jpg

Last edited:
Newbie here, following up on a previous thread of mine, but with a different tack.

Today I went flying and used up all three of my Spektrum G2 Smart batteries. (Congratulate me, I made several landings for the first time and didn't crash, although some weren't all that pretty.) Anyway, after putting them on the battery checker, it seems like they have ended up with a pretty good voltage for storage. See all three attached pics. (I have the storage voltage for these batteries set at 3.8V.) I know the percentage charged is a bit low, but from what I have read, that is less important than the voltage.

So I am wondering if I really need to put them on my Spektrum charger and select the "Discharge" function, since they are already discharged to a safe level. BTW, when I did that for the first battery, the charger came back and said it would take 95 minutes to discharge. So I am thinking the charger sees that it's already discharged to a safe level anyway.

View attachment 184860

View attachment 184861

View attachment 184862
Those are fine to put away. Most of the time when we run our RC's the batteries end up like yours, right at a safe storage charge. But it's always good to check.

Those are fine to put away. Most of the time when we run our RC's the batteries end up like yours, right at a safe storage charge. But it's always good to check.
Great, thanks. So basically, it would seem that the only real case where I would need to discharge them is if they end up at a higher voltage than the recommended storage voltage (~3.8V). For example, if I flew only a few minutes and didn't really draw them down much. Correct?

Great, thanks. So basically, it would seem that the only real case where I would need to discharge them is if they end up at a higher voltage than the recommended storage voltage (~3.8V). For example, if I flew only a few minutes and didn't really draw them down much. Correct?
Yeah. Usually the only time I have to do anything on the charger after a run is if something breaks and I don't get a full pack in. If they are between 3.8v to 3.85v I don't mess with them.

Last edited:
Back