Sooo Much fun...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiErow

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
It was short but i ran two tanks today and it was the most fun i have ever had with an rc... I love my savage more than anything. It all came to an end when i ran into glow plugs. I went threw 3 plugs in 2 tanks. whats wrong?

Did you pull the plug and see what color it turned....black..white..?? What does it look like? Is there residue on it?

i had the time of my life yesterdya with mine as well. really seeing potential of the k46 was a,mazing. i have never seen a rc powered car move like this.

went through 2 spur gears and i still had a smile on me face.

What fuel/engine/glow plug are your running? What's the head temps?

Sounds either to lean or to high of compression.

I'm running a nova cooling head. Odonnel 20%,210 degrees,mc 59 or os 8, stock engine. I think its the compression because it goes ting ting ting when i pull the starter. Horever when i loosen the screws so it doesn't go ting ting ting fuel leaks out where the head and block meet. I'm running 3 shims. Should i go to 4? Also anyone got a link to the shims?

Its looks kinda normal its white i know that...
Link for head shims?

Thanks ac. The plugs(all 3) were wight or at least the coil. It is dented in a little at an angle.

The new head may be shaped a little differnt throwing off the compression. Add a couple more shims or try running with 10% nitro fuel.

I will do the shims but not 10%. I might go back to traxxas. Odonnel just gives me excellent performance...

I got 5 shims and still ting ting ting... What the hell? I'm ready to oreder a collari.

I went to the stock head and still ting ting ting. Maybe its normal. I run pull start so maybe with roto you dont hear the ting... I just got to my dads and they were sitten up stairs so i can't run my truck, i will tomorow.

If the glow plugs turn white is rich lean or compression?

White is probably a bit on the lean side. White is actually supposed to be the sweet spot, but I run my stuff rich. I'd rather err on the side of safe than performance.

It's when the coil gets smushed up inside the glow plug is when your compression is a problem.

No its not doin that at all. Although. After i tunned her well the lug lasted for 2 tanks. Where as before that i blw through 2 plugs in 5 minutes and run time. I will see tomorow. 5 shims is going to kill performance...

The tinging that you are refering to when you pull on the rope is comon on the hpi's,I don't know why but it is.I've had a couple .21 savages and they both did that,but never had a problem with glow plugs.The newer .25's do the tinging thing to.I would have to say that it might be a little on the lean side either the low or high or even both.Try and richen bottem end 1/4 turn and high end 1/2 and see if this helps.Good luck.RUSS

your running lean. also ditch the OS plugs. its a short plug and incorrect for your head. use an odonnel 99, odonnel 97, MC-8 or MC-9. with a nova head you can expect to see temps between 180-200 on a normal day. your white plug indicates too lean. you want it shiney and preferably a little wet looking. this will be about 90% of the power your engine is capable of and give nice long life. the tinging noise is due to the way the HPI's 1 way system is made. it has a springloaded pin in the crank you can hear when its cranking, but when running its moving to fast to spring out at all.

Back