Son,rc,wife,money.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNewb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What a mixture. My 13 year old and I have been stripping down his old Exceed RC that we TOTALLY neglected for a year as a learning experience. He will be buying a new one in May for his Birthday with a little help from us and this time I want to be prepared to take care of it.
Someone mentioned on here that I should get the old one running so we could run together.Got me thinking.
So my son and I (and wife) went to the LHS to see if I could get parts to make the old one work.My wife stayed in my truck with a parting warning...Don't spend a lot of money!!
Like 2 kids in a candy shop. I ended up buying a new O.S engine.Max-18CV-R series.Also a new clutch and a few other things.$142.00 later I knew I was in trouble.
My son also picked out his truck he wants.The Revo 3.3. That sucker costs almost $500.00!!! I told him to sell all his belongings on Ebay or get a job.
I didn't dare get the things I was there for: Nitro cleaner,in-line fuel filter, plugs and air filter oil. Next time (without the wife)
She cooled down when she saw my son and I working on installing the motor and new clutch. Quality time. Gotta love it.

Haha. Let me know how that engine fits as I was planning on getting one for myself when I have the cash.

Nitronewb, your lil story almost brought tears to my eyes. I'm 22 now, and I lost my father when I was 17. I got my first hot rod, my 68 Chevy pickup, when I was 14 and we did a total frame off resto/rebuild with hot rod parts. A few years after I got that, my Dad got a Camaro so I could learn the ins and outs of drag racing. My Dad and I were always best friends, and he was my rock. I know how blessed I am because a lot of people don't ever have a relationship with their fathers, much less one like we had. I'm so glad to see that you and your son had an activity that you can work on together, that's why I suggested fixing up the other RC. Cherish every minute that you have with your son, as we always expect things to last forever yet never really know how long they will last. Nothing in the world could ever take the place in my heart of the memories I have of wrenching on hot rods all night or going to the drag strip together and those 3 hour conversations about cars, girls (hey, I was a teenager), money (usually the girs were mad cuz I didn't have any moeny cuz it all went into the hot rod), and everything else in between.

Congrats on the purchase of the OS!! That's a really nice engine. You can watch the forums on here, and many times I see nice Revo's going for a very reasonable price that are used but well taken care of. Stay away from the ones on ebay that have 7 years worth of caked on dirt, but you will find some that have been maintained very well. You also will not have to buy many hop-up parts as the revo is one bad truck out of the box. If he really wants to learn, maybe you guys could build a Savage X SS kit together. You can get one of those for around 320, and they have a ginormous engine and are very durable and you all would have a great project. It's easy to build with the instructions but you learn about every piece on the truck and how it fits together.

Sorry to hear that CharliesTheMan. I feel sad too.

Congratulations on the OS! I've heard that's one hell of an engine. Hope you guys have fun!

Sorry to get you all choked up CharliesTheMan. It was meant to be more of a " my wife got mad" story.
We spend a lot of time together.Now that I'm semi-retired at 54, I can't quite keep up with his skate board or mountain board or dirt biking (at least not without paying the price) but it's great when something like this comes along. He's already bragging how his Revo is gonna own my junker.
It looks like the O.S engine will fit fine. I couldn't bolt it down because he stripped the screw heads and we need to get new ones. He forgot the ol Righty tighty,Lefty loosey.
It's all a learning experience.
I've learned a lot on this site and plan on learning a lot more. Great bunch of people.
Thanks again for planting the thought of rebuilding.
Keep it to the right of center.

George

Dont worry, it was happy choked up. Always enjoy the memories. Hope you and your son have many good times with your RC's If you need to get the stripped screws out, you can JB Weld a disposable allen wrench. Just put JB Weld in the head, stick a disposable allen wrench in the JB Weld and let it dry. Then take them out and throw the whole mess away!

Got to love this place. I don't think there's anything that hasn't been talked about here. Currently, I'm dealing with the loss of a close friend, and here are a lot of great friends that I've never met, who are here to give support.
Whether it's father/son bonding, marital problems, etc, we all pool our advise and experiences for each other.
What a family! What a great hobby!

Sorry for your loss Rolex.
I'm new to the whole RC thing and I'm finding this help everywhere.I brought my truck(not rc) in for service the other day and asked the mechanic a general engine question only to find out he has his own track right here in town.People I've known for years, I mention my RC and I find out they have been racing RC's for years. It's a whole little world you folks have here.
I like it.

George

Mattyfats320...The engine I replaced was a VX-18. Some minor mods have been required to make it fit but no big deal.....so far.
Have not started it yet.

Rolex that's one reason I like this place so much, I've only been a member here for a few months (although almost every second spent awake in those few months I've been on here, in fact it's getting expensive. I've burnt up two laptops by taking them in the shower with me to participate in the forum) and you guys accept my like family. And nitro, I was a bit surprised when I first discovered the secret RC society as well, and the good news is it's only going to grow with all of the manufacturers making it so easy to get started in the hobby.

Mattyfats320...The engine I replaced was a VX-18. Some minor mods have been required to make it fit but no big deal.....so far.
Have not started it yet.

i have a VX-16. do you know if that is upgradable to the OS?

Hey Nitro,
What a great story! But in all reality, its great your spending time getting your son into this hobby, and have his back. I am 19 now, and wanted a real rc for years, all my friends had them growing up and I was always the one with the radio shacker trying to keep up. Every time I saved my money for one, my dad would shoot me down and tell me to save my money(which I did, and is now going to help me buy a new truck verry soon). Then the day came and I said screw it, at 15 or 16(I can't rember time flys) I went down to the hobby shop and bought my first truck, a revo. My dad thought I was a complete dumb ass for it, but once he saw the fun I was having he warmed up to the idea. Now a few years down the line, and a few thousand in the bucket remote control is one of my main hobbies, and it dosent look like ill ever give it up. Anyway enough of my story.

It just makes me glad to see fathers who have support and get there kids into a great hobby. I have 2 revo's and love the heck out of both. You really can't go wrong with them. All the hop ups will forever keep you on your toes lol, plus its a strong truck out of the box, and with a few mod's you can have a truck that can handle everything! If you have any questions about a revo, id be glad to help.

Bryson

It's a whole little world you folks have here.
I like it.
SHHHHhhhhhh.....

I was a bit surprised when I first discovered the secret RC society as well,
SHHHHhhhhhh......

It just makes me glad to see fathers who have support and get there kids into a great hobby.
Wives and girlfriends must not know about our secret society. When you pass it down to your sons, their mothers must not know. Once they learn the secret handshake, they can start attending the secret meetings.
I can't give out any more information since the time and place of these meetings is our BIGGEST secret.

The women seem to have a similar society and meetings, but for some reason they always hold their meetings in a bathroom.

The secret RCNT Handshake

Nevermind what was I thinking its this one..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back