Some pretty nifty Navy vids

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMaxx

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here are a couple of little videos I found on the web. They might give you some ideas of the things that I get to see during my time at sea:

First we have the carrier doing its thing:

Next we have a shot of a Tom Cat making a super sonic pass. Notice the vapors that coalesce around the aircraft as it breaks the number:

Finally, we have a pilot's (at least co-pilot's or bombardier/navigator's) view of the boat as he/she comes in for a landing (the aircraft landing is an EA-6B):

EDIT--Space considerations on my chunk of server have necessitated shutting down these vids. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you still want to see them, PM with your E-mail address and I'll send them through.

Last edited:
The second vid was great:)

All I can say is WOW!

My uncle just got back from a friends and fam carrier trip and has a very similar vid of the 3 breaks of sound. Pretty cool they can back out and in 3 times so fast. COOOOOOOOOOOL!

-Chris

Yeah baby!

"The sound and sights of FREEDOM".

The sound barrier varies from chunk of sky to chunk of sky...so it is quite easy to wander in and out of that flight regime. The vapors that show up and fluctuate in their appearance around the jet in this video are more an indication of changing humidity and ambient conditions in the sky as the jet travels through it, than any change in his speed.

Yeah but in the second vapor gathering you can see him hit the airbrake for a slight second as his nose goes down for a little jolt. My uncle just showed me a vid recently very similar, too bad I can't get him to dump it on a p.c.. Maybe when my cousin comes home from Alaska I can have him do it and email it to me. The guy goes in and backs out 3 times doing the same thing. Kinda cool if you ask me.

He may have bumped the nose over a little, but that was more than likely due to turbulant air than anything else. The airbrakes on Tom Cats are between the vertical stabilizers, and are not visible in that video.

At that speed and for that flight regime, deploying the air brake would be in the bad category. They would use throttle inputs to control the speed of the aircraft...slowing down by coming off the gas a little...they would also use aerodynamic braking to slow down prior to deploying the brake at that speed.

Regardless of the why and how, one comes out of the supersonic regime, it is still cool to watch.

I LOVE YOU MAN! But you still can't have my Budweiser!

:cool: