So my motor controller lit on fire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamina724

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an affordable one that can handle a 4s lipo? Amazon's cheapest isn't the best...
2020-08-12.jpg

If you want quality check out the castle line of mamba x. They run up to 8s. Might be overkill for your needs but they are good quality and they come with a great warranty. I fried my sidewinder 4 in an smt10 monst ed r truck and for half price replaced it with a new one. I put that in m.j y slash and well I can't keep the front wheels on the pavement lol. That's also only running 2s with 3s capability. Sidewinder may be an option to look at. I paid 129 for the combo. So it's worth checking out

If you want quality check out the castle line of mamba x. They run up to 8s. Might be overkill for your needs but they are good quality and they come with a great warranty. I fried my sidewinder 4 in an smt10 monst ed r truck and for half price replaced it with a new one. I put that in m.j y slash and well I can't keep the front wheels on the pavement lol. That's also only running 2s with 3s capability. Sidewinder may be an option to look at. I paid 129 for the combo. So it's worth checking out
Thanks ill definitely look into those. I think 8s might be a little over kill for my touring car but better safe than sorry lol. Also that fried controller cost $25, I should've known it was too good to be true

Yeah sometimes you get what you pay for. I generally stay in the 50 to 100 range and your usually good there for electronics. I only use savox servos and castle creations for motors and escs. I've used others but just didnt have the performance of castle. Check them out you wont be disappointed

so what kv is the motor on that rc your dropping that 4 cell battery in?. Do you think its a good idea to use a 4 cell on a 1/10 scale? Id advise going to a 2 cell not that 4...not sure what your plans are...so did you check the up in smoke esc(motor controller) for how many cells it could take ? Id do a little reach b4 Id just buy something.. a castle might need a little more than just the esc..like a programmer..

I would guess the up in smoke esc wasn't rated for 4s. Another thing to think about @Kamina724 is purchase a thermo gun. Keeping a close eye on temps will save you some money in the long run.

thermo-gun.jpg

so what kv is the motor on that rc your dropping that 4 cell battery in?. Do you think its a good idea to use a 4 cell on a 1/10 scale? Id advise going to a 2 cell not that 4...not sure what your plans are...so did you check the up in smoke esc(motor controller) for how many cells it could take ? Id do a little reach b4 Id just buy something.. a castle might need a little more than just the esc..like a programmer..

This was my first question. Why would you need a 4 cell LiPo? That is a lot of juice. You can only go straight. If you want to go faster than what a 2 cell can do, go with a 1/8 scale or get a dragster. 1/10 cars are not designed for that kind of power. That would explain why you had a tire blowout on you. Don't get me wrong, the speed would be exhilarating, but again, you can't turn at those speeds or take off at full throttle. With a 1/8 scale, they have wider and stronger tires and it will go a lot faster because you won't be spinning your tires as much.

With a 2 cell battery, can get a low turn modified motor on there and your car will scream.

This was my first question. Why would you need a 4 cell LiPo? That is a lot of juice. You can only go straight. If you want to go faster than what a 2 cell can do, go with a 1/8 scale or get a dragster. 1/10 cars are not designed for that kind of power. That would explain why you had a tire blowout on you. Don't get me wrong, the speed would be exhilarating, but again, you can't turn at those speeds or take off at full throttle. With a 1/8 scale, they have wider and stronger tires and it will go a lot faster because you won't be spinning your tires as much.

With a 2 cell battery, can get a low turn modified motor on there and your car will scream.

LOL...That reminds me of a brushed drag car that I bought in the 80's at a swap meet for a $ 125.00 bucks ,I did not know any
thing about RC cars period!

I destroyed it on the first run when I turned it ,it litterely rolled about 20 times an pieces flew every where ,luckily the
guy gave me his address if I had problems with it ,he was able to fix it an told me that it is a drag car ,you aint suppose
to turn it at 60 mph!...:hehe:

Only when you turn around and watch the other guy cross the line.... ;)

That part about castle is true they come pre programmed but they do need the castle link which is just a cord you plug into a computer or your phone and you can adjust settings there. I love my sidewinder but you are also correct with the kv rating on the motor.

By the way. Thank you very much for the picture of your burned up ESC. Some of us really enjoy pictures of destroyed objects... as long as it isn't something of ours. In fact, I think I will start that thread.

Back