So I got some "48 pitch" pinions for my rc. The pitch of the spur gear is also 48. So why don't the gears mesh together? Money wasted.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadCharlieG

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I could not figure out what was wrong. :rolleyes: I had my gear mesh set perfectly. Everything seemed to fit together. But the noise and stripping told me it didn't. Everything was lubricated well, too. I also checked if there was a bent shaft or anything, and there wasn't. Countless hours of research. Countless hours of checking everything on the buggy. It was a Exceed Sunfire, by the way. The brushed version. And it was supposed to have 48P gears on it... but Exceed, you know. And I got nothing. I would show you a picture, but it's hard to make out any details on the pinion gear. Destroyed the factory spur gear as well as the pinion gear. The pinion gear said 48p on it. So upset.

Edit: There was no small rocks or anything in the gearbox.

if i remember correctly, Exceed/HSP/redcat used 0.6 Mod gearing, not 48 pitch though that was how they were advertised on some. very similar tooth size, but different enough.

if i remember correctly, Exceed/HSP/redcat used 0.6 Mod gearing, not 48 pitch though that was how they were advertised on some. very similar tooth size, but different enough.
O h . Well I saw on nitro rcx and they said "Exceed brushed models use 48 pitch pinion and spur gears. Exceed brushed models use 36 pitch pinion and spur gears."

Thanks. That fixes all my problems.

O h . Well I saw on nitro rcx and they said "Exceed brushed models use 48 pitch pinion and spur gears. Exceed brushed models use 36 pitch pinion and spur gears."

Thanks. That fixes all my problems.
might take a few pictures, 36Pitch isnt really common, I've at least never really heard of it
the typical is 64P, 48P, M0.6 32P, and Mod1 that can be found on 1/10 scale.
64P us primarily found in on road, really tiny teeth but really smooth driving and many gearing options, but the size of the teeth offer to their weakness and ability to get debris stuck in them.
48P is one of the more common pitch gears for off-road electric, M0.6 is pretty uncommon TBH, thnk exceed/HSP/redcat are really the only ones to use this commonly.
32P and Mod1 can be found in 1/10 electrics, but are both mainly found in nitro, 1/8 scale electrics, or 1/10 oversize, but some convert their 1/10 electrics because the larger tooth size, stronger tooth.

Last edited:
might take a few pictures, 36Pitch isnt really common, I've at least never really heard of it
the typical is 64P, 48P, M0.6 32P, and Mod1 that can be found on 1/10 scale.
64P us primarily found in on road, really tiny teeth but really smooth driving and many gearing options, but the size of the teeth offer to their weakness and ability to get debris stuck in them.
48P is one of the more common pitch gears for off-road electric, M0.6 is pretty uncommon TBH, thnk exceed/HSP/redcat are really the only ones to use this commonly.
32P and Mod1 are both mainly found in nitro and 1/8 scale electrics, or 1/10 oversize, but some convert their 1/10 electrics because the larger tooth size, stronger tooth.
I meant 32p- Lol- Thanks for the info though.

hey if you dont know, best way to find out is to ask, nobody knew everything right off the bat, we all had to learn at one point or another.

hey if you dont know, best way to find out is to ask, nobody knew everything right off the bat, we all had to learn at one point or another.
Yeah 100%. I would have never figured out anything about .6 mod or anything without asking. (This is not sarcasm if it looked like it. I genuinely have a hard time finding anything for exceed models.)

Last edited:
One will KNOW anything they need to know if they bother to read manual more than looking at the pretty pictures...

One will KNOW anything they need to know if they bother to read manual more than looking at the pretty pictures...
Do you think I didn't read the manual on this thing?

It did not explain the specifics or anything. It talked about servicing your rc, but very vaguely. The replacement spur gear and pinion were listed as 48 pitch.

It's not because I didn't read the manual, parts list, and the second manual for the nitro counterpart, all of which were included. I did. Many times.

The manual does not tell you everything you need to know. It tells you the basics. You do not get 100% of the information you need for your rc out of a five-page manual.

Don't get me wrong, I love Exceed, but the manual was written in poor English. So Exceed ultimately failed to give me any useful information.

It did. I said they said they were 48 Pitch. .6 MOD was not anywhere on the part.
Ignore the MOD .6. They are a 48DP, not a 48P, and no matter what anyone says, 48DP and 48P are NOT the same. Depending on the tooth count on the pinion, and how well they are made, you can sometimes, albeit rarely, get 48DP and 48P gears to mesh, but they will maybe last a month of everyday use. 48DP is what EVERY HSP rebrand (HSP, Redcat Racing, Exceed RC) uses. Look up the HSP (Hobby Park) 11184 metal spur. That spur will fit literally every HSP rebranded car with the 64T spur. Its the spur i use for every HSP build i do, including my recent BMW M3 on-road build, that uses the HSP touring car chassis, that is also used in the Redcat Lightning.

You can tell by that response you have never owned any of the HSP rebrands, like HSP, Redcat Racing, and Exceed RC. With those vehicles, you are lucky the manual gives you part numbers and exploded views. Most of the time with HSP stuff, it takes a lot of research to find out anything about them. Take it from someone who uses HSP stuff for a lot of cheap builds for mostly kids.

Ignore the MOD .6. They are a 48DP, not a 48P, and no matter what anyone says, 48DP and 48P are NOT the same. Depending on the tooth count on the pinion, and how well they are made, you can sometimes, albeit rarely, get 48DP and 48P gears to mesh, but they will maybe last a month of everyday use. 48DP is what EVERY HSP rebrand (HSP, Redcat Racing, Exceed RC) uses. Look up the HSP (Hobby Park) 11184 metal spur. That spur will fit literally every HSP rebranded car with the 64T spur. Its the spur i use for every HSP build i do, including my recent BMW M3 on-road build, that uses the HSP touring car chassis, that is also used in the Redcat Lightning.
Oh- Ok. Will do.

Look on eBay for HobbyStar 48DP pinion sets. They are the ones i use on all my HSP based cars. They typically run between 5 and 7 gears per set, and go from 11T all the way up to the low 50's for tooth count.
I do have an extra pinion gear, but I wanted to change to a different amount of teeth.

I do have an extra pinion gear, but I wanted to change to a different amount of teeth.
21-25T set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyStar-...919485?hash=item286186da3d:g:S1AAAOSwBeRd3xtb
25-29T: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyStar-...991612?hash=item2ac1db277c:g:8OQAAOSwH2VcQN5h
13-17T: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyStar-...141461?hash=item2af01e42d5:g:v0AAAOSwC~9fRFP7
I typically stick with the 13T-25T gears. It ends up being 3 sets to get all the gears in that range, but, since i do several HSP cars a year, its worth it for me.

Back