Snow treads not working properly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
So I just got a pair of snow treads for my Redcat Everest 10.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3838640787...1291&msclkid=a73f0d901584181608ba6c4d793bfbdc
They look great and seem well made, all metal, but don't work quite right. Instead of the track staying level on the ground the whole unit will rotate from time to time. I removed the tread and oiled all the bearings and made sure roller wheels all spin freely but it didn't help. The treads attach to the axle by a 12mm hex hub just like a normal tire which spins a big gear which turns the treads. Anyone have any experience using treads on an RC truck before or have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks for any help.

I have zero experience with this product, but, thinking from a mechanical perspective, it doesn't sound like the apparatus is anchored/secured to the axle, besides the vehicle's wheel hex.
So, if the vehicle is held off the ground, then the entire apparatus would just spin like a normal wheel, correct?

I have zero experience with this product, but, thinking from a mechanical perspective, it doesn't sound like the apparatus is anchored/secured to the axle, besides the vehicle's wheel hex.
So, if the vehicle is held off the ground, then the entire apparatus would just spin like a normal wheel, correct?
If held off the ground the the tracks spin and every few rotations the whole apparatus spins as well. There is a bearing inside the track gear so the gear is suppose to spin(thus moving the track) not the apparatus. I'm thinking the bearing is poopy and not spinning very freely so it spins the whole apparatus as well. I oiled up the bearing last night and will try again tonight. If there was a way to anchor the apparatus to the hub carrier or some other part of the truck that would work better. I tried zip tying it but it didn't work, not solid a connection enough. Poor design, chinese novelty product.

I wish I could help, but the older I get the weather gets colder and my recliner increases in use.;)

Hehe, I hear ya..my son loves the snow and I'm trying to find a way for him to use RC cars in winter practically. Need an rc snowmobile.

Lots of work but a fun mod. You can try This

That's cool, would be fun on a frozen lake! Not so good through snow though. I've got chains on the front tires and tracks on the back, hopefully I can get tracks to work! I'll try the tire thing for when I go ice fishing.
I got one of those a couple years ago, was about half that price but looks exactly the same. Worked ok in 1-2 inches, gears were stripped by end of winter. Was toygrade so couldn't fix it. That one could be better, I'd probably wanna rip it apart and upgrade everything if possible.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought that was the intention but it doesn't on my vehicle. Maybe I can find a way to make that work. Thanks

.......it doesn't sound like the apparatus is anchored/secured to the axle, besides the vehicle's wheel hex.....
the jawed piece should lock to axel housing
Like I had figured, the whole thing is spinning because it's not anchored/secured to stay in one position. I'm actually surprised the whole thing doesn't spin all the time.
According to the sales ad, this was made specially to fit the SCX10 and TRX4 axles.
Sounds to me like the reason the whole thing doesn't spin all the time is due to the weight of the unit. But, once enough speed is generated, it is able to overcome the weight, and spin the unit.

Last edited:
You want flex/rotation in the tracks, but it needs to be limited. What I would try to come up with is a shock mount that puts a short travel shock on the tracks to allow only a few degrees rotation. That way they can pivot when going over obstacles, but not fully rotate. This shock assembly would need to be anchored to the axle housing.

you want zero flex and rotation of the track thats what the track followers are for the pivot slightly. kept the shocks again just bad info above .

you want zero flex and rotation of the track thats what the track followers are for the pivot slightly. kept the shocks again just bad info above .
There are setups in real world cars with the exact same setup I mentioned. I know this because I made components for them.

Even Traxxas has used this design.
20220118_125652.jpg

Last edited: