Slipknot bassist Paul Gray found dead

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sucks for sure, he was a bad ass musician for arguably one of the sickest heavy bands of all time. RIP Paul.

Sucks for sure, he was a bad ass musician for arguably one of the sickest heavy bands of all time. RIP Paul.
Agreed. What a tragedy....another terrible loss in the metal world. R.I.P. Paul Gray.

I dont wanna be a peepee or some kind of hypocrite BUT anyone wanna bet its drug related? Usually are it seems.

I just read that foul play is not suspected, but an autopsy is to be performed later this week.

I dont wanna be a peepee or some kind of hypocrite BUT anyone wanna bet its drug related? Usually are it seems.

Musicians have quite a bit of down time. And when it's go time, it's go like hell. This occupation is pretty conductive to substance abuse, whether it's as simple as getting hooked on sleeping pills or taking to the party scene with wreckless abandon. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if drugs have something to do with it. Regardless of the cause of death, a great musician is lost. RIP Paul Gray.

I can at least say that I've seen him play live. Saw Slipknot in Feb of 09 in Madison, and it was awesome! I hope that Slipknot continues to play, and I feel confident that they will find a suitable replacement for Paul.

We had a member of slipknot on here for a while, :hehe: anyone remember him? You ever get your tickets Alpine?

I forgot about him. I think he was touring with another band at the time. :hehe:
I couldn't tell if it was him since he had a mask on.

I can at least say that I've seen him play live. Saw Slipknot in Feb of 09 in Madison, and it was awesome! I hope that Slipknot continues to play, and I feel confident that they will find a suitable replacement for Paul.

I'm sure they will. Although a bassis is important the band can still go on. Now if they lost the singer it would be a different story. Like Sublime....

Even a band like Metallica moved on from Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted. But a singer is a different story. Even guitar players are hard to replace. Imagine Pantera hittin' the road without Dimebag... But they would have probably been fine without Rex. I guess a bass player is about the most replaceable part of a band, though it could still throw the chemistry into a tail spin. Imagine Zepplin without John Paul Jones?! I don't think that would've worked.

Or primus with out their bass! Lol, wouldnt have worked at all.

Bass seems like an unimportant (or less important) part of a band....but get rid of the bass track and see what it sounds like. I bet you'd be surprised how much bass really brings the rest together as a whole. A good bassist is hard to find...especially with as fast as Slipknot plays. Metallica did auditions and got some BIG name bassists to audition and they were struggling to keep pace with the rest of the band. Only one guy could do it within his comfort zone.....guess who that was? ;-)

Bass seems like an unimportant (or less important) part of a band....but get rid of the bass track and see what it sounds like. I bet you'd be surprised how much bass really brings the rest together as a whole. A good bassist is hard to find...especially with as fast as Slipknot plays. Metallica did auditions and got some BIG name bassists to audition and they were struggling to keep pace with the rest of the band. Only one guy could do it within his comfort zone.....guess who that was? ;-)

Metallica (my favorite band of all time) picked who is arguably the best bassist. Robert Trujillo is an awesome bass player, and I am glad that they picked him.

You are right though, Slipknot will have a very difficult time finding a bassist to fill Paul Gray's spot in the band. Not only because of the speed of the music, but the closeness of the band.

Look at Avenged Sevenfold. They actually picked Jimmy's favorite drummer to replace him, and he's a great drummer. What if he wasn't available? Do you think they would still be looking, and not have the new cd coming out so soon, and have a tour lined up?

The best place that Slipknot could look for a bassist is the hardcore punk scene, as alot of the underground bands play hard. Or they would have to tap the old speed metal scene.

As long as Metallica has James, Lars and Kurt, they will be Metallica imo, the greatest MF'ing band to ever be created and ever will be!

I agree with ya there...Metallica just plain rules. The new stuff is not for everyone, but I like it just the same. I much prefer the older harder stuff, but I like it all. Metallica may not play the fastest, but man do they play TIGHT as a unit. Even live....those guys can rock it out.