Sledge steering issue.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramp addict

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket bellcranks for the Sledge? My steering sucks, and it's not a servo saver setting. The servo saver arm actually rocks back and forth killing the trucks steering. I'm looking to fix this problem not replicate it in aluminum, any help would be welcome.

Have you checked you receiver?.
A servo does not wobble on its own. either the receiver is making it do that .or you bec is.

Last edited:
When looking down at the bell crank arm that connects to the servo link I can see it rocking back and forth. When I turn the steering wheel the Bell crank cam physically tilts to one side or the other. The servo is just fine.

I might be off base here. These guys will know. But, have you checked your rig. Is everything tight? Is the servo centered? End points set? Is the servo saver too tight or loose? All the steering linkages nice and snug?

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket bellcranks for the Sledge? My steering sucks, and it's not a servo saver setting. The servo saver arm actually rocks back and forth killing the trucks steering. I'm looking to fix this problem not replicate it in aluminum, any help would be welcome.
I had this happen a few months ago. I tightened everything from saver to steering links. It’s turns easily. Much better then it ever did out of the box.

I’ll say this about Traxxas. They must have heavy turn over in the sweat shops producing these things. Because everyone I’ve bought was thrown together to get them out the door. Half the bolts and nuts are loose out of the box on the 5 new rigs I’ve bought off them. So, I’ve learned to check everything on them or I’m wrenching after two-three packs.

Last edited:
The motor mount screws on mine were finger tight at best, no wonder they have spur gear issues.

I took apart the stock bellcrank and discovered the inside of the servo saver cam was deformed. So instead of the servo saver arm activating the cam when stressed it just rocked back and forth instead. I have a Treal bellcrank on it now and the problem is solved.

Awesome. I’m fixin’ on buying a new bell crank system. Tell me about the treal please. I like the concept of the M2C one. They get it right whatever they do. But, I’m not and extreme basher in the sense of huge jumps. More of a let it rip in wide open spaces and look for what little air it provides on my WOT runs. 😀

To the best of my knowledge M2C only makes bellcranks for the 1/5th Arrmas. All the aluminum Sledge bellcranks are copies of the stock one to a certain extent, and they suffer from the same weak spot. The cam binds on the servo saver tube. If you pull the servo saver apart and grease the tube it solves the problem. Vitavon and Treal will be the toughest, Integy bellcranks have a good rep with me. Hot Racing Sledge bellcranks sucks, I killed it in one battery pack. There went $50.00.

Shoot. I was thinking about the tmaxx. Sorry man. Kinda blazed over there. lol.

Back to the sledge. I’m satisfied with the steering on it now I went back over things. It tightened it up and it seems strong enough for now. Besides, I gotta rebuild my tmaxx steering unit first. Cause it isn’t satisfying at all.

I was checking out the Treal bellcranks for the Tmaxx on the Amain site. Their confidence inspiring burly. They look well made, my Sledge one is well made.