Slayer Pro Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezzdown

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello all! For starters a am new to the forums and just getting back in to RC after many years. My last cars were a Grasshopper and a Frog if that gives you an idea. This time around I wanted to go nitro as it is just much more appealing to my gear head mindset.

About a month àgo I purchased a slayer pro and have been tinkering since. Basically my goal is track performance so that is what the build has revolved around so far. Truck is broke in and running very strong! I'm very impressed how well the 3.3 is running on the 33%. At wide open it is a handful.

So far upgrades are as listed.

Traxxas heavy duty slipper clutch
Pro line split six wheels & trencher tires
Traxxas Sway bar kit
Traxxas aluminum tie rod and push rods
Traxxas center diff kit
Traxxas rear brake kit
Traxxas short ratio gear set
Gold springs on the rear shocks
Tan springs on the front shocks
Aluminum front/rear/center skid plates

My next large upgrade will be to ditch the AA battery pack on the truck in favor of the Traxxas battery pack to get full juice to my servos. Id also like to ditch the 2075 servo in favor of a steel gear servo. (Recently had it get away and stripped the servo gears) Suggestions? That should be in the next couple of weeks.

Basically I have been spending my time testing and tuning. As of now I am dialing in the new brake setup and will begin testing the different diff oils. I've completed dialing in toe, camber, bump, roll, etc. and so far I am fairly happy with my settings. Truck is cornering very well. I need to do some more testing in rough conditions to make sure the truck stays planted. I have yet to race the truck competitively or against another truck for a baseline yet.

I'd love to hear back from folks to see if I'm on the right track? Completely lost my mind? Or suggestions on getting this rig dialed in. Obviously the trenchers are not a track tire but they work very well here in the desert where I do a majority of my testing.

Oh and for future discussion. I have learned that while I am a great wrench somewhere along the line painting was excluded from that skill set. :p

Yesterday while dinner was cooking I had a chance to burn half a tank and get the brake bias dialed in a little better. Truck stops on a dime without actually locking up the wheels. This was on pavement so I'm pretty sure it'll break loose on low traction surfaces. Truck seems to be much more snappy on the bottom end since installing the center diff, rear brake, and short ratio gear set. Handling has also improved.

Today I am going to load up a take the truck out to my testing grounds to dial it in the rest of the way. I am also curious to see how the truck responds in tight, twisty, and loose conditions. If it is still weak on the bottom end I may bump my spur gear from its current 36t to a 38t. Also I want to do some testing in the whoops and chop. Make sure the truck keeps its manners in those conditions.

Last edited:
You want to use the direct link that looks like this.
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/wvned/IMG_6609.jpg
Click the image button next to the smiley face on the action bar above the reply window.and paste it in.
IMG_6609.gif

I am just a basher but it sounds like you are going the right way. I went with a Robinson racing Slipper and a 38T bell. I fitted the 2.8 Trenchers so I could run in grass.
I moved the rear springs to the front and installed heavier ones in the rear and did the swaybars as well.

You want to use the direct link that looks like this.
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/wvned/IMG_6609.jpg
Click the image button next to the smiley face on the action bar above the reply window.and paste it in.
IMG_6609.gif

I am just a basher but it sounds like you are going the right way. I went with a Robinson racing Slipper and a 38T bell. I fitted the 2.8 Trenchers so I could run in grass.
I moved the rear springs to the front and installed heavier ones in the rear and did the swaybars as well.

Looks like there was an update to the Photobucket app on my phone and they butchered it. I can't seem to generate the correct type of link anymore. Oh well.

I think I'm headed the right way. Truck appears to be performing very well. I really have been just taking my time and paying close attention to settings rather than just throwing parts at it and hope for the best. Wife is making breakfast and after we will probably head out to run the trucks for a bit. I got her a nitro as well although not as nice. Honestly I should of gotten her a better truck as now I'm just spending money on better parts for her truck.

indexshare.php
indexshare.php

Last edited:
I found the link under the i symbol under the pic
IMG_6611.gif

Last edited:
There are LOTS of good threads here for paint. It is DEF an skill earned and learned! Sounds like you've got a nasty little rig! Congrats!:thumbs-up:

I should throw in here, yes, there are things that you will want to upgrade and change for the kind of driving or racing you do. There is a point however where you are changing and upgrading for the sake of changing where it's just not necessary. If you start snapping a-arms, upgrade to rpm for example. If you aren't snapping them, don't spend that money. Just a thought learned thru experience and too much money spent,

I found the link under the i symbol under the pic
IMG_6611.gif
I should throw in here, yes, there are things that you will want to upgrade and change for the kind of driving or racing you do. There is a point however where you are changing and upgrading for the sake of changing where it's just not necessary. If you start snapping a-arms, upgrade to rpm for example. If you aren't snapping them, don't spend that money. Just a thought learned thru experience and too much money spent,

I couldn't agree more. That is exactly why I've been taking my time with the truck and I have spent so much time tuning (suspension & chassis). I think with this truck in particular setup is more critical than throwing parts at it.

I am also not one of those people who thinks swapping every possible part for its aluminum likeness is a good thing. Sure for some components yes but overall I would have to say less is better. Things like skid plates I have swapped out but I am also keeping weight in mind. Those shiny anodized parts sure are purdy though! :)

I was able to get out yesterday and burn a couple of tanks in two different locations. The first location the dirt was good and damp with high traction. At the second the dirt was really dry and loose. It was also pretty choppy.

While the truck did pretty well I feel like there is definitely room for improvement. Well in a way. What I mean to say is that I will need to develop different setups for different conditions. At the first location where traction was high the truck did very well. It held to the terrain very well and was fairly predictable as to what the truck would do next. Even pulled some crazy long power wheelies that had me giggling like a little kid. The second location where it was loose and dry didn't go quite as well. I couldn't keep the truck in a straight line under power to save my life. In the rough the truck was bouncing around way to much. Ended up on the roof several times. I think I may pick up another set of slightly softer shock springs. I also need to pick up several viscosities of both shock and diff oil to experiment with. While I'm at it also pick up one of those puk kits for the gtr shocks. I've definitely got a bit of work ahead of me. As long as I can get a baseline setup for a few different conditions I'll be happy. Next will be to bring the aresenal of parts to the local track (where it ultimately matters) and get a good setup documented and just see how both myself and the truck do.

So after yesterday I have to start thinking about doing my least favorite thing. Painting a new lid :-( Not sure I'll ever get better at it. Still trying to find tape that eliminates bleeding. So far the 3m outdoor painters tape has worked the best. I also need to check my patients and spend more time on prep.

Above all else, enjoy! It sounds like you've got that part doen! Tuning and all that will come with more and more experiences. All part of the fun!
As far as the paint goes... A LOT of it IS the prep work!

Back