Slash Project: Pro-Line '67 Drag Mustang

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it's an awesome rendition for sure. I want to get the '69 Nova as well some day. The builds I have seen with it have looked amazing. But I'm a Ford guy, so we had to go with this one first.

After seeing this in person though, I can't wait to see the Pinto 😉

After closer inspection while doing some masking today, I don't care for the way they have the window trim molded in on this body. It looks like the mold was finished by a toddler. Lines that should be there to create the edges of the trim are choppy, fade into nothing, then fade back in, etc. Tamiya bodies are definitely a lot nicer than Pro-Line. This is a great looking body, but it is definitely poop when it comes to the finer details. And to top it off, the body feels way too thin in spots.

Thanks. After about 3 hours of tedious masking... I am about ready to spray some chrome.
20211223_060013.jpg

20211223_060022.jpg

Just out of curiosity, Why not mask off just the bit where chrome is going to go and spray it later in the painting process? Seems like that would be easier but maybe I'm missing something cuz I'm not a very experienced body painter.

Just out of curiosity, Why not mask off just the bit where chrome is going to go and spray it later in the painting process? Seems like that would be easier but maybe I'm missing something cuz I'm not a very experienced body painter.
Because the chrome needs a black backer for one. You start with your dark colors first.

Plus, masking the bumpers would require a lot more finicky twists and turns with tape, and a lot of fine trimming. The way I have done this is just run around the outside of the details with fine line striping tape. Much easier.

Another benefit is it will be easier to clean up any bleeding around the edges. There was nothing easy about doing it the way I did, but weighing the options, this way was the easiest.

Because the chrome needs a black backer for one. You start with your dark colors first.

Plus, masking the bumpers would require a lot more finicky twists and turns with tape, and a lot of fine trimming. The way I have done this is just run around the outside of the details with fine line striping tape. Much easier.

Another benefit is it will be easier to clean up any bleeding around the edges. There was nothing easy about doing it the way I did, but weighing the options, this way was the easiest.
Gotchya :thumbs-up:

All the trim is painted. Not as chromey as I'd hoped, but it's water-based paint. Looks good enough. Couple little blems to take care of, but pretty happy overall.
20211223_114608.jpg

Got the body candied with Createx Blood Red and starting on the flames.
20211224_121708.jpg

20211224_121724.jpg

20211224_185654.jpg

20211224_185703.jpg

Need to make some more stenciles and will get more done tomorrow. Back is killing me!

A few fatal flaws, but it was a helluva learning experience. I didn't get enough candy on the roof of the car, so the flames are a little pink. I'll try harder next time.
20211225_055101.jpg

20211225_055035.jpg

20211225_055026.jpg

20211225_055245.jpg

Last edited:
If I could get a better area to spray, I could do a better job. I think I am going to move the spray booth back to the other room. Just need better lighting in there.
20211225_062234.jpg

I need to lower the shocks a bit on front and rear.

Last edited:
Back