Slash LCG 2wd receiver and ESC alternate mounting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I'm building up a Slash from various sources, and the ebay motor/esc combo I chose had wires (motor to ESC) too short to mount the ESC in it's stock location.
Even if the wires were long enough there isn't any easy way to mount an aftermarket ESC. There are some 3-D printed cages for specific receivers, but no universal slash mounts.
The ridges in the LCG chassis preclude servo tape mounting unless you dremel them away or make a plate that mounts to the stock holes.

I decided to try this out. Mount the ESC and receiver on the battery hold down plate. The plate I used is for an extended pack, but this will work for any type.
5mm foam servo tape was used, and it really sticks! I accidently misaligned the ESC and had work to pry it off... good stuff. I put 2 pieces of 1/4" felt furniture pad on the back of the ESC for a little padding and spacing. The waterproof case fits nice but to use it I added a 6" servo extension wire that will be under the waterproof seal. This connects to the steering servo. I also left space for humpback NiMh batteries, since I seem to have accumulated a few and might as well use them. I used servo tape to mount the power switch but I'll probably hot glue it next.
I can now pull the whole electronics package easily- unplug the 3 motor leads, the battery and front servo. It also makes it easier to clean the car and bench test the electronics. I'm probably going to eliminate the receiver box and servo extension wire. I don't run it in the rain, and if I do I'll just put the receiver end of the plate in a baggie and then pin and tape it down.
Some other benefits are better airflow around the ESC and much better vibration damping. Electronics HATE heat, vibration and high G stuff.

PXL_20220804_003347045.jpg

PXL_20220804_003408320.jpg

PXL_20220804_003726351.jpg

I wonder if any handling difference will be noticeable from moving weight more centered to the chassis albeit a little higher up. Nice work, but get lipos already

but get lipos already
Got that covered. Just using the humpback for test fit 'cuz I have a few.
Here's the MK II version with LiPo, receiver box gone, power switch moved and a different antenna mount. I ordered black, got lime green... oh well...
As far as handling, I don't think they'll be any difference. The ESC and receiver don't weigh much.
A few more tweaks and she'll be ready to rip.

PXL_20220805_014657168.jpg

PXL_20220805_014720384.jpg