Slash 4x4 Upgrades?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ultimate is pretty durable for the most part and handles pretty well out of the box. Give it a run stock, and upgrade anything that breaks.

The most common parts that break on the Slash 4x4 include the plastic driveshafts and... honestly, that's really about it on the Ultimate other than the tires wearing out fairly fast. Run it first and upgrade what you feel is lacking, and maybe tune the suspension as well (sway bars, spring tension, oil weight, etc.).

I also got my Slash 4x4 used. Came pretty beat up, but I was going to convert it into an LCG anyways and the diffs were good, so the car is now in very good condition. Also replaced the stock plastic shocks with the GTRs and installed the XXL (instead of L) shocks on the front to increase shock travel.
Here's a test video I made recently with it (CC 3800kv and sway bars):

The Ultimate is pretty durable for the most part and handles pretty well out of the box. Give it a run stock, and upgrade anything that breaks.

The most common parts that break on the Slash 4x4 include the plastic driveshafts and... honestly, that's really about it on the Ultimate other than the tires wearing out fairly fast. Run it first and upgrade what you feel is lacking, and maybe tune the suspension as well (sway bars, spring tension, oil weight, etc.).

I also got my Slash 4x4 used. Came pretty beat up, but I was going to convert it into an LCG anyways and the diffs were good, so the car is now in very good condition. Also replaced the stock plastic shocks with the GTRs and installed the XXL (instead of L) shocks on the front to increase shock travel.
Here's a test video I made recently with it (CC 3800kv and sway bars):
Thanks. I haven't owed a 4x4 yet so I'm not super sure what to expect. Hopefully it can handle the desert better than my 2wd

I have the MIP X-Duty's on mine. They seem to hold up the best. Pricey though.
yeah. I'll probably get the upgraded drive shafts later on. for now, i just want the slash. But I'm glad y'all are here to give me ideas!

My 2wd will wheelie on flat ground. but it doesn't consistently wheelie
I also forgot to mention that for the 4x4, you also have the option of a center differential instead of the slipper clutch. The slipper clutch sends 50% power to the front and 50% to the rear, while the center diff sends more power to the axle with less resistance. For example, the car's weight shifts to the rear axle when the car accelerates, so more power is being sent to the front by the diff (e.g. 60% front, 40% rear), and you can tune how much power it shifts by switching the viscosity of the diff fluid inside. (center diff will reduce wheelies and help the car corner better)

I also forgot to mention that for the 4x4, you also have the option of a center differential instead of the slipper clutch. The slipper clutch sends 50% power to the front and 50% to the rear, while the center diff sends more power to the axle with less resistance. For example, the car's weight shifts to the rear axle when the car accelerates, so more power is being sent to the front by the diff (e.g. 60% front, 40% rear), and you can tune how much power it shifts by switching the viscosity of the diff fluid inside.

That means more control ,because the 4x4 slash does do get a bit squirrely but not like the 2 wheel drive!.. :thumbs-up:

Yeah. Another thing I had problems with on the 2wd was the servo saver. I kept hitting it and exploding it. That is like the only design flaw (in my opinion) on the slash. And I'm not sure what to do about it. I have the standard chassis on my 2wd.
Go LCG. The way the servo is tucked away protects it from impacts. My personal opinion is to upgrade to the traxxas 2255 servo; the high torque/high speed metal gear blue servo. I got one on my 4x4 and love it. Then get the aluminum servo arm and aluminum bell crank.

Go LCG. The way the servo is tucked away protects it from impacts. My personal opinion is to upgrade to the traxxas 2255 servo; the high torque/high speed metal gear blue servo. I got one on my 4x4 and love it. Then get the aluminum servo arm and aluminum bell crank.
Yeah, i plan on getting an Ultimate, so it comes with that already. But thanks for the info. I think the ultimate comes with a metal gear servo. Not %100 sure tho

This is my 4x4. Build specs;

VXL 6S 2200Kv motor and esc, Robinson racing hardened steel 20T pinion and 50T spur, H-R slipper eliminator, HD diff cups, steel helical ring and pinion gears, XO1 differential guts, traxxas steel splined CVDs, techno big bone drive shaft, 2255 servo, aluminum front and rear shock mounts, pro line body mounts, rally sway bars, aluminum A arms.

it’s REALLY fast; radar indicated 73 mph before the nonbelted tire shredded. It has zero body roll. Hardly ever rolls over. Wheelie with ease at almost any speed, will do standing back flips. I haven’t jumped it. The kicker is, it’s on the HCG chassis

Attachments

• E3687634-EB74-4C44-A700-41ACCFF6B809.jpeg
    E3687634-EB74-4C44-A700-41ACCFF6B809.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DAB8EBE2-EE8C-4E05-AFDA-5D5BA11E99E7.jpeg
    DAB8EBE2-EE8C-4E05-AFDA-5D5BA11E99E7.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 94
  • BBDFEED8-65FF-44C7-8A1A-A9A6AF39ED2B.jpeg
    BBDFEED8-65FF-44C7-8A1A-A9A6AF39ED2B.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 09DF1D40-AFFA-4FE4-94F3-C7EA4CB752C1.jpeg
    09DF1D40-AFFA-4FE4-94F3-C7EA4CB752C1.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 98
This is my 4x4. Build specs;

VXL 6S 2200Kv motor and esc, Robinson racing hardened steel 20T pinion and 50T spur, H-R slipper eliminator, HD diff cups, steel helical ring and pinion gears, XO1 differential guts, traxxas steel splined CVDs, techno big bone drive shaft, 2255 servo, aluminum front and rear shock mounts, pro line body mounts, rally sway bars, aluminum A arms.

it’s REALLY fast; radar indicated 73 mph before the nonbelted tire shredded. It has zero body roll. Hardly ever rolls over. Wheelie with ease at almost any speed, will do standing back flips. I haven’t jumped it. The kicker is, it’s on the HCG chassis
God damn that is a monster.

Just found this dope slash
1620838920272.png
This would be epic to make. Put some long travel suspension on it. It would be fricken awesome

Biggest thing I learned with all the Traxxas cars is that you don't want to make them heavy (avoid aluminum parts, big batteries, motors, and tires)
The light weight is what makes them durable.

GTR shocks are great and RPM arms as others stated is about all you need. The stock axles are decent. Tekno makes a nice adaption to 1/8 scale dog bone style axles and larger carrier/hubs.
https://www.teknorc.com/product-vehicle/slash_4x4/