Slash 4x4 battery advice please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battledonkey

RCTalk Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I ordered a Slash 4x4 to play with my daughter and her ECX Torment brushed. Yes I realize the Slash is gonna be way faster no matter what but she's 9. If she really falls in love with playing on the track and wants to follow through with racing then sure I'll get her a faster truck later.

I'm still a rookie with the nitro side of RC but I'm learning and growing quickly. With electric, I'm really really lost. I've been researching every chance I get and I feel like I'm comfortable enough with all the LiPo options and I can read and learn anything I don't know. But does anyone with experience with the Slash have any advice as far as would I be better off just getting some 2S batteries or get 3S and drop the pinion to 11T to keep motor and ESC temps down? I don't need the truck to do 50-60mph. Ever. Lol. I'm more interested in "trackability" and "bashability" as I want to at least play on the track and who knows, maybe do some light racing later. Obviously, I don't know what racing regulations are and if that would limit battery choice either. I see the truck being 80% bash and 20% track playing. Work doesn't always leave me enough time to make the 40 minute trip to the track. I'm more interested in the raw punch. Having the truck slide around real easy on the pavement or off. I'm a wheelie kind of guy with ATVs, dirt bikes, and all my power hobbies. I'd rather be able to torque the front end up than go fast and the only thing I like more than wheelies is mud. I realize the Slash isn't built to wheelie so if it doesn't I'm not gonna be broken hearted. I just want the torquey punch off the line to go sliding all over. I hope this explains everything well enough.

Thanks as always,

Doyle

Whats your budget for a battery? BTW if you run The Traxxas S1 tires and a good battery that Slash will pull wheelies no problem!

Really whatever it needs to be. If I gotta be patient and run on the stock battery for a few weeks or something I can live with that.

So 2s ought to be enough to get it ripping around pretty good then huh? What about a reasonably priced charger?

---------- Post added at 4:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:19 AM ----------

Wow 6000mah. That ought to yield some pretty good run times huh?

I would recommend sticking with a 2s pack as long as your running the stock esc, the Slash can be hard on the esc with a 3s battery....Although it's crazy fun and hard to drive!

If you want to start out with a cheaper pack I really like the Turnigy nano-tech packs, they are cheap and will do well in any situation.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00mah_2S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

If your willing to spend more I have had good luck running Max Amp packs, some people say your just paying for the name but I have ran them side by side with several other brands and they perform! They last longer and they keep their punch right down to the end.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6500-74-Slash-Pack.htm

Last edited:
So 2s ought to be enough to get it ripping around pretty good then huh? What about a reasonably priced charger?

Yeah. And as said above, 3S with stock equipment in many makes drastically shortens ESC life. I smoked two in my Prolite relatively quickly.

Cheap charger that works well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMAX-B6-AC-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e85209eef

Wow 6000mah. That ought to yield some pretty good run times huh?

Probably between ~25-30 min, depending on how you drive. I have an 8,000 mAh in my RC10T, can go 45-60 minutes on one charge in that lightweight critter!

6,600 mAh 3S packs seem to go about 20-25 minutes in my Prolite, but I drive hard, and they're also pushing a hungry 2,000 KV 1/8 scale motor.

I honestly wanted to buy your Prolite, and would have. But the missus ordered the Slash for me. Lol.

---------- Post added at 4:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:40 AM ----------

The Slash should be here tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait.

I honestly wanted to buy your Prolite, and would have. But the missus ordered the Slash for me.

It's definitely faster! lol.

The stock slash may be a better choice for just starting in the world of brushless, though. The Prolite is sluggish on 2S, but a real handful on 3S, and physically cannot be geared any lower than the 20T pinion. I really enjoyed it, but I'm happier with the way my converted 1/8 scale performs, the extra weight making it more tame on 3S, while the heavier duty 1/8 scale drivetrain can take the abuse of 4S and heavy throttle. Only downside is the 8.4 pound vehicle is very hard on bodies. And, of course, no feasible way to make it race legal. But I'd rather race buggies and stadium trucks in 1/10 scale anyway.

I got kinda a rude awakening when I first starting running lipos compared to nitro. There's just no comparison of punch when you compare a 5 pound electric rig on 2S to say an 8 pound tmaxx with an os .18. I run 5000 mah 35c packs and it's plenty for the track I run on. The duratrax packs are pretty good and all their packs have treated me well over the years. The below pack is what I run but has the traxxas connector already installed.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=dtxc1965&search=Go

Here's a good charger to go with as well:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAGUG&P=7

I got kinda a rude awakening when I first starting running lipos compared to nitro. There's just no comparison of punch when you compare a 5 pound electric rig on 2S to say an 8 pound tmaxx with an os .18.

Well, of course not. For one, the T-Maxx is well over 8 pounds:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/nitro/49104tmaxxclassic-specs

Right at 10 lbs without fuel. My 1/8 truggy is 1/2 pound lighter with fuel (9.46), and running a Novarossi .28-7T, which makes about twice the power the .18 CV-R does.

More importantly, though, is that Nitro engines make peak torque about midway through the RPM range, while brushless start off with max torque and taper down as RPM increases.

Ultimately, electric can be made faster with brushless technology, but if a T-Maxx with an .18 is the quickest nitro you've run, you're missing out. My e-truggy is the same chassis as the one with the Nova .28, and their performance is very similar when you look at lap times. The e-truggy has a 2150 KV sensored motor, 16T pinion, runs on 4S. The nitro is fed Nitrotane 20% race fuel, and has a 17T clutch bell (same spur on both)

Sure, I could hit the e-truggy with 5S or 6S, but not very very long. Just as the nitro wouldn't last running no head shims and 50% fuel.

IMG_0805_zpsc8e71045.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its mine! Feels weird to not be putting fuel in it and breaking it in. Lol. Gotta wait for the battery to charge.

image_zps5021f096.jpg

image1_zpsac4a8850.jpg

image3_zps37de7736.jpg

image2_zps09af8279.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Does it really take 8 hours to get a complete charge?! Sheesh.

Does it really take 8 hours to get a complete charge?! Sheesh.

Depends on the charger. That Imax B6AC I linked has a max charge rate of 5 amps, takes about an hour and a half to fully charge a depleted 5,000 mAh pack, the 6,600 mAh packs take right about 2 hours.

Depends on the charger. That Imax B6AC I linked has a max charge rate of 5 amps, takes about an hour and a half to fully charge a depleted 5,000 mAh pack, the 6,600 mAh packs take right about 2 hours.

The stock one for now. The soonest I can get to the Hobby Shop or responsibly order anything would be Saturday. The wife and kids are on a little Spring Break vacation at her brothers house so spending right now would be ill advised because there's no telling what she might decide she needs to get/do for our kids or her brother and his fam. Lol.

---------- Post added at 1:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:15 AM ----------

Also, I envision this thing with an all black body and and neon green solid buggy style wheels. I'll bash with the stock body and store it with the "show" body. The problem is I'm completely handicapped when it comes to rc wheels and tires. Anybody have some advice on some solid neon green wheels that will fit?

Anybody have some advice on some solid neon green wheels that will fit?

You would really have to put 17mm hex adapters on and run 1/8 buggy wheels, which will probably require clearancing the body, as they'll be a tad larger than 1/10 SCT tires. Any solid wheel I'm aware of with 12mm hex will not look right on an SCT; stadium truck wheels are too wide and the tires not as tall as SCT, and 1/10 buggy wheels obviously wouldn't work out. I have not see a solid SCT wheel as of yet.

You would really have to put 17mm hex adapters on and run 1/8 buggy wheels, which will probably require clearancing the body, as they'll be a tad larger than 1/10 SCT tires. Any solid wheel I'm aware of with 12mm hex will not look right on an SCT; stadium truck wheels are too wide and the tires not as tall as SCT, and 1/10 buggy wheels obviously wouldn't work out. I have not see a solid SCT wheel as of yet.

I guess I may just find some neon green "regular" wheels then.

You could always get white ones and dye them neon donkey!

Thats a new concept to me. Time to investigate!

The fastest nitro I own would have to be my Ofna DM1 spec with an Ofna .28 in it. That thing is just sick. I run in a tennis court thats about 4 courts wide and I'm barely into second gear when I hit the last court. I need to find a new place to run that car because my current spot is too small.

Back