Sig Somthing Extra plane construction

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroTyler

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys heres my sig somthing extra photos that I've been working on.
Right now there hasnt been any construction for a while due to my lost
instruction manual lol. Please ask me if you want to see
any photos of a diffrent detail of the plane incase i didnt cover it all.
-Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_7625.jpg
    IMG_7625.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7626.jpg
    IMG_7626.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7627.jpg
    IMG_7627.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7628.jpg
    IMG_7628.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7630.jpg
    IMG_7630.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 138
That's great. Take your time getting it ready to cover. If you can feel it with your finger, it will show through the covering.
Keep up the good work, you're real close to having a beautiful flyer.

Thanks, its the first plane that I've ever build. Some of it was pretty tricky, and its hard to control were all that glue goes. but so far its pretty smooth. the glue was the really thin stuff so i dont think it will show up through the paper.

Wow, you got pretty far along before losing the instructions. She looks pretty nice!

Very nice! How many hours do you have in it so far, if you don't mind me asking?

Hey, thats a great stuff you are building. She surely looks great and i am sure after the covering she will look more ravishing.

I would just suggest that try to keep the weight into consideration so that after appling a lot of epoxy you dont increase the weight more then required.

I HOPE YOU FINISH HER SOON AND PLEASE DO POST THE PICS AFTER YOU FINISH THE FULL MODEL WITH ALL ITS WEIGHT AND OTHER SPECS YOU ARE USING ON IT.

HAPPY FLYING !!!!!!!!!

Very nice! How many hours do you have in it so far, if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm.. i don't really know for sure, but i know i do have quite alot.
i took my time on every piece, for some reason the glue still spread throughout the wood.

My next project after my manual comes, (which sig hasnt emailed me back about) I have to get all the hardware so i need to research what servos and etc i need, as well as an engine that hopefully wont be to fast for me.

thanks,
Tyler :llama:

*edit*
would it be alright with you guys if i went through some sources and tell you guys about the items before i buy them?
just so i dont buy anything that people herd bad about.

Last edited:
would it be alright with you guys if i went through some sources and tell you guys about the items before i buy them?
just so i dont buy anything that people herd bad about.

Absolutely, that's what we're here for. We don't limit our knowledge just to ground runners.

Possible Hardware

Heres what I'm thinking of using as possible Hardware.

I would also like to start out by saying that I'm going to be using my Uncles Airtronics Radiant advanced microcomputer radio control system which is channel 24 72.270.

Engines:

I heard great things about O.S. engines and thats what I'm running on both the planes that my uncle gave me. So I'm fairly interested in that.

I'm also bit interested in four stroke engines. I have herd of crankshaft failures and etc. I don't know if this is because of a nose landing or just from having allot of hours on the engine(s). I also imagine they are more expensive since 4 strokes usually have more parts in them. But coming from a motorcyclist i learned that 4 strokes are cheaper and more maintenance free.

Receivers:

I chose the Hitec Electron 6ch FM Receiver Jr/ Air Z since it looks fairly light and compact it also says here that "it includes Auto-Shift which enables the receiver to adapt to your radios "shift" and lock onto its unique signal." I dont really know what this means but I'm guessing its shifts gears for engines with 2 speed, but i would guess that the engine doesn't need a receiver to know when to shift lol. Also, it offers a programmable fail-safe and what I've heard of fail-safes is that they preset the servos to a certain position when connection to the radio and or a glitch is present, this defintly stands out to me but i first need to learn how to program my Radio.

Servos:

I guy at the hobbie shop said somthing about Airtronics radios can only be used with airtronics recievers and servers, i dont really know for sure but it sounded somthing like that. In that case that my radio is compatable with other recievers/servos i chose the Hitec HS-56hb since it was what other people bought when they bought their recievers on the site so I'm guessing they go together.

Batteries:

I have no idea which battery to get or were to start because i think you need the same brand battery on the reciever as you do the radio?

Switch:

I chose the mini switch harness and charge cord since the picture here looks about to be the same switch as the one on my uncles plane that he gave me.

Ok, thats what i have researched so far and I'm planning on doing more before i buy anything. i just would like your comments about what i was thinking.

Thank you,
Tyler

Overall, your choices sound good. The "shift" in a radio refers to the signal. Airtronics, Hitec, and one other company all use positive shift, while Futaba, KO, and JR (I think) use Negative shifting. The "Shift" itself refers to the phasing of the signal's waveform.

As long as you match brands, you are more than alright. However, if you mix brands, you have to match the phase shifting.

Note; I may have the brands mixed up, but the concepts behind the phasing are correct.

Hmm so that could mean that airtronics is compatible with hitec.

Engines:

I heard great things about O.S. engines and thats what I'm running on both the planes that my uncle gave me. So I'm fairly interested in that.

I'm also bit interested in four stroke engines. I have herd of crankshaft failures and etc. I don't know if this is because of a nose landing or just from having allot of hours on the engine(s). I also imagine they are more expensive since 4 strokes usually have more parts in them. But coming from a motorcyclist i learned that 4 strokes are cheaper and more maintenance free.
Don't know about the rest, but I love Saito engines. http://search.horizonrc.com/index.jsp?sid=1179FFBA2CCC&Ne=500&N=5252+796
If you are going with a 4-stroke, remember you have to be bigger. If the plane is a .40 size, a .56 or .62 will be about right.
You should get a tach.

Unless you want the scale sound, just get a 2-stroke. I have an OS that has been flying for about 5 years? 4 planes. (Yeah, I suck at flying) 2 of the planes were trainers though.
The 2-strokes last a long time and for the most part keep a good tune.

Good luck with the build. Glad to see another aircraft guy on.

Keep the pics coming.

Hmm so that could mean that airtronics is compatible with hitec.

In essence, yeah. You have to remember, with the Hitecs, they have two different types of conversion crystals; single and dual. If your receiver says "DCX" on it, you have to get DCX crystals. This is true for the car-bands; aircraft band, I'm not too sure.

If you have a hobby shop nearby, stop in and ask if you can "bench test" a Hitec RX with an Airtronics TX, just to be sure.

I am sure that the hitec Rx will work with the Airtronics Tx, but yeah you need the check the Conversion first ( single or dual) this makes a lot of difference. regarding your model. I was keen to know what size model are you building? as from the picture your baby looks quite a big bird.

As its an extra my personal suggestiong would be 2 stroke engine as it will give you the power you require for an aerobatics or scale aerobatic model. yeah the saito 4 stoke are excellent engines as I have installed on my Corsair a 1.00 size saito 4 store engine.

As for the 2 stroke i love the webra engines. they are far superior then the O.S engines. and if you have a big bird above 1.20 size then going for a moki 1.20 gas or glow is the ultimate dissicion you can take.

please give me your exact model details like wing span, fusalage lenght, weight,etc.

-moiz4got i googled my plane since I dont have my blue prints yet (but i got feedback from sig so i know there open and said to contact them on phone which i'll do somtime today) i found these specs

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/KitReviews/SigSExtra2.html
* Wing Span: 51.5 in. (131 cm)
* Wing Area: 614 sq. in. (3961 cm²)
* Length: 48.25 in. (123 cm)
* Weight: 4.5 lbs. (2.05 kg)
* Engine: .40 - .46 2 - cycle
(6.5 - 7.5 cc 2 - cycle)
.56 - .65 4 - cycle
(9.2 - 10.6 cc 4 - cycle)
* 5 Servos required

I know its that wingspan so I'm almost 100% sure this is the correct information.

And as for the reciver's i'll try to go to the hobby shop this weekend and bring my radio in to see if they'll let me do thouse bench tests that you guys were talking about. sounds to me like it will defintly solve this problem.

Thanks guys,
Tyler

Last edited:
I would absolutely go with the Saito 4 stroke. I have NEVER seen one fail. It's always been the 4 stroke of choice at the field, and they are VERY reliable. Digger is correct as far as size compared to 2 stroke.
There's nothing like the sound of a Saito 4 stroke. You'll love it.

4535SaitoFront.jpg

I would absolutely go with the Saito 4 stroke. I have NEVER seen one fail. It's always been the 4 stroke of choice at the field, and they are VERY reliable. Digger is correct as far as size compared to 2 stroke.
There's nothing like the sound of a Saito 4 stroke. You'll love it.
Ain't they sweet Bro! Got 2 .91's. One single and a 3-cyl.
Single is in my Eindecker. https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41382&highlight=eindecker

The 3-cyl hasn't been in anything yet. Had no plans for it but I couldn't beat the price.

Don't mean to derail your thread, NitroTyler. Plenty of scale aircraft that are .40 size. If you are into scale, 4-stroke is the way to go.

I did know what servo's you needed. Been so long since I worked on one....
Isn't there one that you can flip the lead the other way and make it work?
Thinking it was Airtronics and Hitech? Seems like they worked one way? Could plug them in either way so ya had a 50/50 chance?

I'l try to find out for sure.

-moiz4got i googled my plane since I dont have my blue prints yet (but i got feedback from sig so i know there open and said to contact them on phone which i'll do somtime today) i found these specs

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/KitReviews/SigSExtra2.html
* Wing Span: 51.5 in. (131 cm)
* Wing Area: 614 sq. in. (3961 cm²)
* Length: 48.25 in. (123 cm)
* Weight: 4.5 lbs. (2.05 kg)
* Engine: .40 - .46 2 - cycle
(6.5 - 7.5 cc 2 - cycle)
.56 - .65 4 - cycle
(9.2 - 10.6 cc 4 - cycle)
* 5 Servos required

I know its that wingspan so I'm almost 100% sure this is the correct information.

And as for the reciver's i'll try to go to the hobby shop this weekend and bring my radio in to see if they'll let me do thouse bench tests that you guys were talking about. sounds to me like it will defintly solve this problem.

Thanks guys,
Tyler

Hey Tyler,

As per your link above the model you are building is SCALE AEROBATIC model. so i would suggest you to either go in for a SAITO 4 stroke FA-62A AAC w/Muffler or Webra SPEED 50 or SPEED 55. This should give you full control on your models with the ability to full performance.

GOOD LUCK and if you need anyhelp just post a line and we will get after you ........................

Wow, Digger, that 3 cylinder is really a beauty. The fuzzy pic I posted is a 1.20.
I'd like to have a Saito 5 cylinder just for display. It's hard to believe how well they run.

Wow, Digger, that 3 cylinder is really a beauty. The fuzzy pic I posted is a 1.20.
I'd like to have a Saito 5 cylinder just for display. It's hard to believe how well they run.
NIB for $450, think they are 700. Got a set of plans for a Beech Staggerwing and thought it would be a good engine.
About all I did was study the plans a bit.

Of course I did mount it to a test stand. Maybe 2 tanks through it? Runs as sweet as their singles.
Would want an exaust ring. 3 straight pipes coming out just seems like a lot more mess, if ya now what I mean.

Needs to have onboard glow too. I can start it with my power panel, but I have to peg the meter all the way, just hook to 2 cyliders. Those 2 will carry it till ya get fire on the third. Couldn't think of doing that if it was in an aircraft.
Still got some learning to do on that one, but by the time I get an aircraft for it, my old dumbass might be ready. :)

Back