Shredder stopped running after 20 minutes (I wasn't jumping or bashing)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeedoodle30

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
The 4th time I ever ran my Shredder, it stopped running after 20 minutes of driving on a dry flat dirt surface. (Baseball infield) So I packed it up, assuming the batteries had run out of energy. (Zeee 7.4V Lipo Battery 2S 50C 5200mAh) I got home and measured the voltage, they both read 7.5 volts. Did something get hot and automatically turn off. Should I have waited for the vehicle to cool down? Is this normal?

The 4th time I ever ran my Shredder, it stopped running after 20 minutes of driving on a dry flat dirt surface. (Baseball infield) So I packed it up, assuming the batteries had run out of energy. (Zeee 7.4V Lipo Battery 2S 50C 5200mAh) I got home and measured the voltage, they both read 7.5 volts. Did something get hot and automatically turn off. Should I have waited for the vehicle to cool down? Is this normal?

Maybe it got to hot and thermal shut down. Did it work fine after you got home?

Maybe it got to hot and thermal shut down. Did it work fine after you got home?
Yes, it worked fine. Measured 7.5 volts. Going to take and run it tomorrow and see how long it will run. It must have been the ECU, can't imagine the motor getting hot enough to shut down.

Yes, it worked fine. Measured 7.5 volts. Going to take and run it tomorrow and see how long it will run. It must have been the ECU, can't imagine the motor getting hot enough to shut down.

If that’s the case a possible fix would be getting a pinion with less teeth. It’s probably over geared causing it to get hot and thermal shut down.

Last edited:
If that’s the case a fix would be getting a pinion with less teeth. It’s probably over geared causing it to get hot and thermal shut down.
Why would it be over geared straight from the factory? I'll see if it happens again. I'll check the specs in case they installed the wrong gears.

Why would it be over geared straight from the factory? I'll see if it happens again. I'll check the specs in case they installed the wrong gears.
Sometimes rc manufactures do that I’m not sure why. Just dropping down one pinion tooth probably would do. I know with my slash 4x4 vxl I was getting thermal shut downs with stock gearing On 3s driving on pavement in the heat where I live. I dropped the pinion down a tooth and I haven’t had a thermal shut down since even launching it of massive ramps.

Also check the gear mesh if it’s to tight it can cause excessive heat

Last edited:
it ran for 20 minutes on his 4th run. he got home checked battery voltage was 7.5 it might have gone into lvc mode (did rc stop completely?) if yes then it more than likely went into thermal mode.. do you have a point n test thermometer? they are cheap some not so much.. test electronics to see if it happens again..

Sometimes rc manufactures do that I’m not sure why. Just dropping down one pinion tooth probably would do. I know with my slash 4x4 vxl I was getting thermal shut downs with stock gearing On 3s driving on pavement in the heat where I live. I dropped the pinion down a tooth and I haven’t had a thermal shut down since even launching it of massive ramps.
Thanks, great suggestion, I will look into it and get new gears. It's time I tore into this thing and get some wrenching experience.

it ran for 20 minutes on his 4th run. he got home checked battery voltage was 7.5 it might have gone into lvc mode (did rc stop completely?) if yes then it more than likely went into thermal mode.. do you have a point n test thermometer? they are cheap some not so much.. test electronics to see if it happens again..
Thanks - I gotta get a "point n test thermometer", now I see why they are so useful.

If that’s the case a possible fix would be getting a pinion with less teeth. It’s probably over geared causing it to get hot and thermal shut down.
If I install a pinion gear with less teeth, do I also have to change the spur gear to match?

If I install a pinion gear with less teeth, do I also have to change the spur gear to match?
I don’t think you you’ll need to when your just dropping it a tooth. But maybe wait for someone with a little more knowledge than me like tnt or someone to tell you for sure(I’m still kinda new to the hobby). I know on my slash I didn’t and that i could drop it down to a 11 tooth if I wanted and still be fine with the standard spur. I don’t know much about the shredder though.

I have the same problem with my slash. Mine was the Platinum Edition and I had to install all the electronics myself. But after dropping two teeth on the pinion gear I had no more trouble with thermal shutdown

I don’t think you you’ll need to when your just dropping it a tooth. But maybe wait for someone with a little more knowledge than me like tnt or someone to tell you for sure(I’m still kinda new to the hobby). I know on my slash I didn’t and that i could drop it down to a 11 tooth if I wanted and still be fine with the standard spur. I don’t know much about the shredder though.
The Shredder came with a 15 tooth pinion - I counted them. I'll wait and see if anyone else comments. Thanks.