Shredded Steel Driveshafts & Yokes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Liquid

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just thought I would post my mishap as I bashed yesterday. I had a pair of steel driveshafts on the Maxx and ripped them clean off. One end has the connected yokes which did fine. However the other end has a dogbone which slides in a steel yoke.

What looks like probably happened is that the edges of the steel yoke were too sharp & not flat. They eventually cut into the dogbone and all of the torque just ripped the dogbone clean off the shaft.

Sorry for the dull light in the pics, but it was the only way I could get the camera to take it. The flash was too bright, since the pics were taken so close.

Anyway, here is the first pic:
---You can see the steel yoke & how that broke.
---Next to that you see the rear steel dogbone which was cleaned completely off.
---Next is the front steel dogbone which was starting to get cut too.

3645Clean___Cut_Drives.JPG

-------------------------------------

Next Pic:
---Better View of the Steel Yoke all Broke

3645Shredded_Yoke.JPG

-------------------------------------

Last Pic:
---Cut Grooves in Dogbone from Yokes

3645Cut_in_Dogbone.JPG

----------------------------------------

So if anyone is looking (or already own) a pair of steel driveshafts...make sure you check the glide yoke to see if the edges are smooth & not sharp. 5 minutes w/ the dremel will do you right.

Later....:mex:

That is some serious torque and some serious damage. Good advice on the checking of the cups for sharpened edges.

Those wouldn't happen to be GPM steel swing axles would they?

I had the same problem with mine in 15 tanks of fuel while breaking in a new 21. There is no way in hell that you can tell me that it should have happened so soon. Hell, my XTM cvd's lasted about a gallon before one broke. Didn't actually wear as much as it just snapped.

Mine weren't sharp either. They just make the outdrive cup so much harder than the dogbone that it's insane. I have emailed them with minimal follow up. Needless to say, I will never buy GPM axles again.

I ended up with a set from RD logics. Verry good IMO. I have about 3 quarts of fuel on them and there is 0 wear anywhere on them. They are relatively cheap as well. I think the would have been like $29 a set. I got mine for $25 a set.

The dynamite cvd's aren't bad either for the money. They hold up better than the xtm's. But I still have my old used XTM's as backups for when the RD's blow.

Olds97, yeah, those are the GPM steel shafts. It looks like the same thing happened to you except mine only lasted about 10 tanks with the stock 2.5 motor. I would definitely not recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for the heads up on other shafts, since I am in the market now for some new ones. I will check out the RD logics.

Later....:beer:

Back