Shock/stability questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikyll1969

RC Newbie
Reaction score
MY sons have, each. a 2wd Bandit, and Rustler, I've noticed issues with the out-of-the-box RTR setups... I wanna do new tires, and maybe better shock springs/full shocks... without putting a TON of money into em to start.. maybe the rear tires... and the front shock springs are a good place to start at... any help?

also looking for the same street/minor jumpin suspension help for my Slash, maybe just stronger springs? or adjusting the angles?

MY sons have, each. a 2wd Bandit, and Rustler, I've noticed issues with the out-of-the-box RTR setups... I wanna do new tires, and maybe better shock springs/full shocks... without putting a TON of money into em to start.. maybe the rear tires... and the front shock springs are a good place to start at... any help?
If you search Amazon and eBay, you will find a ton of shock selections, ranging from $21 for all 4 (cheap, more than likely straight from china), to $40 (again, more than likely cheap chinese shocks), to well over $100 for 4. The cheap chinese big bore shocks arent necessarily bad, but, they do at times, depending on which ones, need more maintenance than some of the more expensive ones. While i dont own a Traxxas, this is the set i get for most of my trucks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282293062084 They work pretty good, are adjustable, and seem to hold up fairly well, but, they will need shock oil. For shocks, you can either do a search for Bandit or Rustler shocks, or, if you have a micrometer (easiest way i have found to do it), you can take the shocks off and measure the eye to eye length, which is typically listed in MM's, and just search for shocks that length. For most vehicles, you can get just the springs, but you have to know things like spring rate, length, and rebound. With Traxxas, you can easily find that info listed on most spring kits. For tires, a search for Bandit or Rustler tires will yield a ton of options, from cheap to very expensive. Traxxas has huge parts and aftermarket support, so finding anything for them shouldn't be too hard. For my brushed cars, i just find tires on eBay. If you look, you can find premounted sets (meaning the tires are already glued to the wheel), for an average price of $30 for all 4. Yes, they are cheap, but, for brushed cars, they arent bad. Here is what i found on a search on eBay for the Bandit: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3&_pgn=1
This is what i found on eBay for the Rustler: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&_odkw=traxxas+rustler+front+tires&LH_BIN=1

Those shocks i listed will work on the Slash.

what exactly is the issue you are having with the suspension? is it feeling bouncy? or bottoming out too easy? might try some thicker oil, manufacturers typically put in a bit light of oil in their vehicles, i think traxxas starts with 35wt? i would try some 45wt or so and go from there see if it helps out what you are having issues with.
also keep in mind you want your chassis to bottom out before the shocks do or you will start breaking shocks, or caps.

Back