Shock help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madramper

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought a used Ofna MBX R2 and it cam in last night. It seems as though the shocks are worn out. I dropped it on the counter from 3 inches (I measured) and it bottomed out!! This is my first buggy, so I have nothing to base it on, but I don't think thats right???? Can I rebuild the shocks, or should I replace them? I bought the buggy pretty much just for jumping and I can have it bottoming out so easily.

what color springs are on it ? - and yes you can rebuilt them. when u move the shock up and down is it smooth or does it spring right back like there is no damping ?

The springs are silver, and I can't really feel any dampning at all. I'm not really sure how much I should feel, but its not much. Hoe heavy can I go with the oil? He said it was 50/40 can I go to 70/50. I want it to be fairly stiff.

i would say nothing over 50 - gonan make yuor car handle the bumps like crap..

i would get ofna stiff springs and try 40 weight first with 5-6mm of preload on each shock and see how that works for you and then go from there...

Last edited:
Just to make sure, the clips set the preload correct? I have a 5mm on the rear and none on the front right now.

yup.. btw how big of jumps are you planning to jump off of ?

Nothing outrageous, maybe 20-30 feet :classic: With a decent landing of course. No flat landings. Probably 10-15 foot jumps will be common.