Shelled my 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock-rod

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i was running at the local track finishing up the break in of my newly installed picco boost and 3 mins in started hearing a nasty gear rattle. At first I thought a rock was stuck in the spur gear but upon inspection it was fine. There were two distinct binding points while rolling the truck back and forth. When I got home and disassembled I found the output shaft gear was missing a tooth and the piece embedded itself into the first gear assembly. All of the teeth are chewed.

So what are my options? Did the boost motor kill it? Are there gear upgrades? How about the 3spd? Help.

In my many years (10+) of running a savage, I've only broken anything in the stock 2-speed trans twice. Once was due to me leaving a screw in the trans case. Made a mess of things. The other was an old 21 version of the trans that didn't have a steel retainer holding the pins in the 2-speed gear.

So, may have been a fluke. Or you landed really hard when on the gas.

I had a 3-speed for a while, but got annoyed with having to take it apart to adjust it and replaced it with a 2-speed version again. That was a stupid design.

I agree with @olds97_lss and I too am not a fan of the three speed in the Savage. That said the stock Savage transmission has also been pretty bulletproof for me as well. What kind of running was your doings? Jumps?

I was running the local track taking it pretty easy breaking in a new picco boost .28 motor. Nothing crazy and I have run my revo much harder than that with no issues. As far as I can tell, the powdered metal gear on the output shaft lost a tooth and that tooth damaged the rest of the gears. I have another trans on the way and I think it's possible to swap in the hardened steel gears from the octane transmission. This picco motor is pretty strong and its still being run-in so defintely not producing max power yet. Hope this isn't a sign..

Finally got around to fixing things. I know most don't recommend but I went the 3 speed option and swapped in a set of hardened output gears for the octane transmission.

Back