Servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayzzfish

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm just wondering what sizes servo to put in my car. It's a 1/8 cen matrix c1. I still have factory servos in it but my steering is a little sluggish. The servos are skyion # G82122. Not trying to get the best servo just somthing to make it run better. Thanks..
dontknow.gif

For buggies I usually shoot for 300+oz/in of torque and the faster the better although unless you're racing speed isnt terribly important. Anything that .15 or lower speed sill be fine. If you dont run it on grass and just dirt, gravel, pavement etc then you can go down to 270ish oz/in

For buggies I usually shoot for 300+oz/in of torque and the faster the better although unless you're racing speed isnt terribly important. Anything that .15 or lower speed sill be fine. If you dont run it on grass and just dirt, gravel, pavement etc then you can go down to 270ish oz/in
That's funny to me! For all my years on nitro, the strongest servo I ran was a hitech 985MG at 172oz/.13s and it seemed fine. I ran that in my revo's and savage's for steering and t/b. It wasn't until I got my outcast 6S that I got a 300oz+ servo. I run the same in my e-revo 2.0 now too and it is better. In both though, the servo will overtake the servo saver spring at a standstill.

I use these: Hobbystar HCS 4521

Quite a bit of power/speed on 6V, even more at 7.2V that I run them at off my max6's.

Really decent servo for $50, even better if you get them from there when on sale for $39. I have one waiting to go into my maxx4s when the stock servo dies, which will be total overkill. But at least I won't have to worry about it for a while.

That's funny to me! For all my years on nitro, the strongest servo I ran was a hitech 985MG at 172oz/.13s and it seemed fine. I ran that in my revo's and savage's for steering and t/b. It wasn't until I got my outcast 6S that I got a 300oz+ servo. I run the same in my e-revo 2.0 now too and it is better. In both though, the servo will overtake the servo saver spring at a standstill.

I use these: Hobbystar HCS 4521

Quite a bit of power/speed on 6V, even more at 7.2V that I run them at off my max6's.

Really decent servo for $50, even better if you get them from there when on sale for $39. I have one waiting to go into my maxx4s when the stock servo dies, which will be total overkill. But at least I won't have to worry about it for a while.
I probably overkill my servos, Example I use two 500oz/in servos in my LST2 and XXL. and I use 280-320ish in my kits that dont run in grass. Smaller kits like my Kraton 4S I use between 300-400ish. I'm running a 1013oz/in .13 servo in my Kraton 8S. You can get powerful servos with good speeds these days for $85 or less so I tend to go high on torque and whatever I can get on speed. Maybe it isnt necessary but its what I like em responsive.

Those Hobbystars look pretty good especially for the money. How do they hold up over time?

I wasn't saying that as a dig. It's just funny what I think is "normal" now vs just 3-4 years ago. 3-4 years ago, 200oz was a lot for me! Now, less than 300oz and .15sec doesn't even get a second look. Forget about it if it's not waterproof!

Getting a decent 300oz/.13sec waterproof servo 10 years ago would have been $100+, so I never even looked at those. Now you can find "budget" ones with great specs, decent life for so much less that it's laughable.

I wasn't saying that as a dig. It's just funny what I think is "normal" now vs just 3-4 years ago. 3-4 years ago, 200oz was a lot for me! Now, less than 300oz and .15sec doesn't even get a second look. Forget about it if it's not waterproof!

Getting a decent 300oz/.13sec waterproof servo 10 years ago would have been $100+, so I never even looked at those. Now you can find "budget" ones with great specs, decent life for so much less that it's laughable.
Ahhhh yeah I know what you mean. I think the most powerful servo I owned 10-12 years ago was prolly a 280oz/in or so. Servos have gotten waaaaay better in recent years and like budget lipos theres some decent budget brands out there.