Servo or radio on Slash?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is the stock Xl5 brushed esc then there is no way on how to switch the reverse in the esc. Traxxas made it hard to program the escs. Yes the esc could be bad. I would convert to a brushless system by getting a hobbywing max10 sct combo. Or a castle creations 1/10 combo. The traxxas VXL system is not reliable. Never had any problems with my hobbywing products. Brushless is more reliable and faster too. If you convert to brushless and a whole different combo and its still happening then i have no idea.
Or if it is already VXL brushless then I would switch over to a different brand anyways. Or you can try out that traxxas program where you send the esc back and they will send you a new one.

Last edited:
If this is the stock Xl5 brushed esc then there is no way on how to switch the reverse in the esc. Traxxas made it hard to program the escs. Yes the esc could be bad. I would convert to a brushless system by getting a hobbywing max10 sct combo. Or a castle creations 1/10 combo. The traxxas VXL system is not reliable. Never had any problems with my hobbywing products. Brushless is more reliable and faster too. If you convert to brushless and a whole different combo and its still happening then i have no idea.
Or if it is already VXL brushless then I would switch over to a different brand anyways. Or you can try out that traxxas program where you send the esc back and they will send you a new one.
Hi DavidB, it is the Traxxas Velineon vxl-3s brushless system on a Slash 4x4. I have heard of complaints about the vxl system reliability but my truck is 10 years old and the only thing I’ve ever had to do to it is change the diff and shock oil so I guess I really can’t complain too much. I’ve never been super rough on it so that probably contributed to its longevity. It’s probably having age related problems like me. Nothing lasts forever. Thanks.

Yea. Sometimes stuff can be reliable. some stuff aren't. Or sometimes something is reliable and another time it might not. I heard alot of over heating issues with both motor and esc. And the ESC burning up. - For the vxl systems. I bashed hard on my hobbywing combos and they are still good. My uncle raced alot on his Hobbywing V2.1 and V3.1 and still going with no issues. With my old traxxas XL5 systems the motors and esc heated up alot and I fried one of the escs. Wasn't related to the heat. It was my fault actually. I plugged the positive side into the negative side and poof.

Yea. Sometimes stuff can be reliable. some stuff aren't. Or sometimes something is reliable and another time it might not. I heard alot of over heating issues with both motor and esc. And the ESC burning up. - For the vxl systems. I bashed hard on my hobbywing combos and they are still good. My uncle raced alot on his Hobbywing V2.1 and V3.1 and still going with no issues. With my old traxxas XL5 systems the motors and esc heated up alot and I fried one of the escs. Wasn't related to the heat. It was my fault actually. I plugged the positive side into the negative side and poof.
Ok, so I am finally back in business on my slash. I decided to return the Flysky gt3b. Not sure what was up with it but it just did funky stuff. I wish it had worked out though because I really liked the radio in general. I decided to go with one of the Traxxas tqi radios with stability management. I did a test run yesterday and I have to say TSM is pretty amazing. I’m sure there are purists on here that probably take issue with anything that assists driving but I think it has its place. For me, the only place by my house I can do a decent speed run is on a narrow road bordered by a steep bank down to a big creek, so I really like the extra control for that. Otherwise you can just turn it off if you want to get crazy. I will say I’m not particularly impressed with the radio build. Traxxas seems to be behind on ergonomics. And what’s up with that tiny steering wheel? I’m gonna play with it some more before I make a final judgment. Might wind up getting the link that connects to the phone app for easier adjustments. I’m still not completely sure if it was the rx or the tx on my original setup but I do know now that the esc and servo were good. Tricky business sometimes. Thanks to all who helped out!

Back