Selling Sony-DSC717, wanting a new camera...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Currently I have a Sony DSC-F717 which I've used to take maybe just over 500 pictures with. I've owned this camera since they first came out and have not used it all that much. What I'd like to get in replace of it is a smaller camera, one which that will easily fit into my coat pocket. Something like my aps Canon Elph2 camera - it's very small and very easy to carry around. Nothing like the sony which has a huge lens on it.

I'd be using the camera mainly for sight seeing when I travel, product shots for the website, so a camera that can really zoom in and get nice detail would be great. I'd also be using the camera of course for taking photo's of friends and family, both indoor and outdoor. Since the majority of it's use will be during travel I'd like it to be a well built camera, nothing that I have to worry about something breaking because I dropped my coat or something.

Some cameras I've been looking at are: Olympus C-765 - Nikon Coolpix 4800

Any recommendations would be greatly appreicated!

-Michael

Just camera's huh? would you ever consider trades ? WHen you do sell it would you offer it here?

As far as camera I amkinda in the same boat.. I Want a compact camera but all the bells and whistles you can fit onto it.

Jon

jon2 - I'm a wheeling and dealing person at heart, if you've got something that sparks my interest I'd be more then willing to do a trade.

I'll be in long island come Thursday and I think the woman and I are going to the big apple before coming back home so I'm hoping to stop by a few camera stores to get more info on the cameras I'm looking at now and ones that may be recommended to me. After I get back then I'll be selling the Sony camera, more likely on eBay as I have no clue what this would sell for. I've got a few memory cards, a reader, and of course the camera - when I post it on eBay I'll make a post in the auction forum to let everyone know.

-Michael

I too have recently been looking to upgrade my digital camera... In my price range, the Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom caught my eye.. I like the Olympus brand of digital cameras..

Woodie try bhphoto.com They have alot of different types of cameras there. I have dealt w/them a few times and they are great business. Also try a canon camera I have an A40 still camera w/4.3 megapixels. Its a great camera has alot of features on it. I just did the same thing you are doing now but I just did it w/digital video camcorders, bought a DVD camcorder and it sucked so badly!!!! had to return it then I did more research before I finally got a good camera.

~Michael

I bought my wife the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U5M/qid=1103683606/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/104-1661945-2969524?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846]Cannon Elph S410.[/ame] It is an excellent choice for the types of pictures you take. We use it for pretty much the same thing and trust if for all of our vacation shots. The wife doesn't even take normal 35mm camera along just in case any more. There is also a 5mp version [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U5W/qid=1103683927/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/104-1661945-2969524?v=glance&s=photo&n=172282]the S500.[/ame]

Michael,

You know I've thought about going a digitial camcorder however I just can't justify it - mainly for the fact I have a Sony DCR-TRV520 digital 8 camcorder that I've used for only about 4hours total use. I'm dead serious, only about 4hours, this thing looks like I just pulled it out of the box and that's because it does nothing but sit in a carrying case.

When I first got it the camcorder was top of the line for what it was, but I NEVER use it, so I can't get myself to get another "better one", know what I mean? It's almost the same thing for the Sony digi camera I have now because I've only taken a small amount of pictures with it - I figured if I get something smaller easier to carry around yet still does what I need then maybe I'll use it more. Then again I've got that Canon Elph2 camera that's only had the roll it came with through it, it too is still brand new.

-Michael

ps. You know maybe I have to many cameras :D

Ya think you might have to many cameras??? yea I like my canon still camera its pretty good for what I do...pix of the kids, pix of stuff at the firehouse, the r/c cars etc. I just got my DV a few days ago from my wife for christmas. Only problem is lowlight SUCKS on these camcorders jeez, so I am not all to thrilled but its a canon optura 40 has one of the best low light pics out there (for what I could afford) they have $1200+ that have good low light performace. DVD camcorders picture quality was terrible! I was so let down with it that I brought it right back to the store. Colors were off (I tried two different cameras same model one was really broken but the colors really sucked... ) At a certain store that has CC for initials the red rug looked orange, and the dark grey letters looked white and that was after I played with it so it looked better. (sorry long winded)

~Michael

WoodiE, not to slam on the choice of cameras...but I just bought my wife a new SONY DSC-P100, a 128MB memory stick, a case, and a 2 year protection plan at Sears for $490. Her desired specs were something she could throw in her purse for taking pictures of the kids.

You might want to look into it. Places like Sears are having all kinds of Holiday blow out sales.

Here's a place that lists the camera for $269. DSC-P100

Just some food for thought...

Woodie..this is the camera that my wife and I use. The Kodak DX7590. Its awesome.
Comes with the docking station. Great price. The lens retracts and will do anything u need it for....shoots video and has sound. It might be a tad bigger than the cameras u listed above, but I highly recommend this one. Still small enough to use for traveling.

Check it out
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Koda...sem/rpsm/oid/106556/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

wannarunem and skymaxx thanks for those suggestions however the sony looks to be a nice size but to little of a zoom on it at 3x and the Kodak might be a little to big, but it does look like a nice camera I'll have to check it out.

Thanks,

-Michael

anytime Woodie. Theres so many to choose from...Lets us know what you get!!!!

WoodiE, the zoom on the Sony is a 3X optical zoom with a 12X smart zoom. The optical zoom is limited by the compact size and the available focal length the retractable lens can produce.

For a compact camera, that is more than enough zoom for many people and a darn near standard among compact digital cameras.

Download the PDF spec sheet for the DSC-P100 camera. Note it comes in a couple of colors (blue, red, black, and silver). 5.1 MP in a tiny camera...is a good thing.

CLICK HERE FOR PDF

Note, this is just one option and I'm certain you'll like it. But shop around...I'm also certain you'll find what you want.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Tis the season for new digital cams. I just picked up the Fuji Fine Pix S-5100

The smaller you get, the more sacrifices you need to make.
The first thing to go is optical zoom.
One thing to remember is that digital zoom is the same as enlarging a portion of your photo in photoshop. With 5-6 mp this is a valid option especially if most of your photos are going to be viewed on the Internet in 640 X ???

Use the 3-5x optical and do the rest in PS. Working with 5-6mp photos is completely different then 3-4mp. There is a lot more digital info to work with and anyone with a little PS experience will be able to great things. I would choose More MP over zoom any day of the week.

Last edited:
Eddie is right sacrificing options the smaller u go. i asked my wife about what she could remember about the other cameras. One thing that stood out is the Nikon we looked at (not sure if its the same model as the one u are considering) didnt include sound with video. That might not be important to u but we wanted sound for recording our kiddo. The Kodak was her gift for Christmas. She decided on it due to its nice features..the dial on the back of the camera..the docking station is included..which makes it extremely easy to download pics to ur computer and also acts as a charging base. Easy to use photo software...and its a 5 mega!! Price is good and some others that i can't remember. The other cameras that were metioned above are good to....geeze so many to choose from...Happy Shopping!!!! :cheers:

Well I quickly stopped by CC today and checked out the two camera's I mentioned before and the Nikon Coolpix 4800 looks to be the best thus far. It has a 8.3x zoom which I think will be plenty for the kind of pictures I'll be taking and looks like it will do good for product shots, it's also a 4MP camera. Again I'm gonna take a look in NY and see what I can find, then purchase something when I get back home maybe sell my camcorder to since I don't ever use it.

-Michael

If the 8X zoom is digital zoom, you wont be happy with a 4 mp camera.
Digital zoom only zooms in on the existing image that is presently being captured. It will make any enhancements to the photo in PS not as desirable.

OPTICAL zoom is the key. In a small body camera look for High MP and the highest OPTICAL zoom. Digital zoom has its place but will seriously compromise your base image.

Any zoom I talk about is Optical zoom, I don't even consider digital zoom as I'm aware of the effects on the photos. In fact I have digital zoom turned off on my current digi cam.

-Michael

Fair enough. Made my pitch. Let us now which camera you end up with.

Back