SCX24 vs mini-Z 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky's Lab

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I really want a mini crawler (almost got an SCX24 a few months ago but I got another buggy instead).

I also love the Suzuki Jimny body on the Mini-z (getting a yellow manual 1:1 scale Jimny delivered in July).

Is the SCX24 so much better (quality & value & aftermarket stuff) than the mini-z that I should just go with the crowd and get an SCX24?.. or is the Jimny Mini-z worth a shot?

Will probably make a course, probably wont drive with any others... but I will probably end up getting my kids one too.

Anyone have a strong opinion?

SCX24 is what I’ve been told I’ve been doing the same thing basically trying to find a good crawler for fun and they all voted SCX24 because it has good aftermarket parts and all that stuff but they are a bit pricey $140 I’d rather pay $20 less without the scale accessories

Mini-Z is not as capable as an SCX24 for crawling, but it is a good looking little vehicle. The SCX24 has a bunch of after market bits and pieces that make it very upgradable. The Mini-Z is probably best left stock as to not mess with it's good looks. I think they are kind of different markets. Obviously if your getting a 1/1 scale Jimny your going to really want that Mini-Z, even if it's just for your shelf. If you want to get out and play I would vote SCX24.

Couldn't agree more ☝️

As much of a Kyosho fan boy as I am, I have to say the SCX24 is going to be a lot better truck simply because of the customizable ability through upgrades. The Mini-Z doesn't have near the aftermarket, but there are a few nice upgrades for the Mini-Z. And as always, where there is a will, there is a way. Anyone who is creative can upgrade any RC.

I've been drooling over all of the Mini-Z crawlers myself. They are all fantastic looking trucks. But I have a few more SCX24's I want to build before I go down that rabbit hole. And I agree with Doom, they are kinda in two different classes of vehicle. I look at the Mini-Z as more of a scale truck than a crawler.

There are a few videos out there comparing the performance of these two trucks.

Scx24 has more support than any rc made I would guess. Endless supply of parts, upgrade, and how to vids. Cross makes a 1/24. I just ordered one. Will report back how it compares to a Scx24 for $40 less.

When it comes to performance, there's really no comparison. All you need to do to take that box stock to the next level is about $20 for a good set of tires and about $15 for weights up front that will also lower the center of gravity. There are plenty more upgrade to be had, but you can add those along the way. You can also go as crazy as you want when to comes to customizing it into a totally different animal. Here's my once SCX24 Chevy:

OK, you guys sold me on an SCX24 :)

I wish the Kyosho was actually 1/24th scale. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to that, and seeing a 1/27th scale puttering around with a 1/24th scale would drive me kinda nuts. I know... I'm weird. But if they were 1/24th I'd already have one or two planned.

I really want a mini crawler (almost got an SCX24 a few months ago but I got another buggy instead).

I also love the Suzuki Jimny body on the Mini-z (getting a yellow manual 1:1 scale Jimny delivered in July).

Is the SCX24 so much better (quality & value & aftermarket stuff) than the mini-z that I should just go with the crowd and get an SCX24?.. or is the Jimny Mini-z worth a shot?

Will probably make a course, probably wont drive with any others... but I will probably end up getting my kids one too.

Anyone have a strong opinion?
Mini crawlers are super cool, I really want a SCX24 too, one day!

It really depends, are you more interested in crawling performance, value, and better aftermarket/community support, or scale looks? The SCX24 has better crawling performance, value (arguably), and better aftermarket/community support than the Mini-Z 4x4, but the SCX24 doesn't have as scale looks/details, or a Jimmy version.

If you want those first 3 things I said in the second sentence, go for a SCX24, and get a Jimmy body shell for it. I'm not sure if the Mini-Z 4x4 body (ies) will fit on the SCX24s, you may need to do some fabrication and mods to get it to fit. I just searched, and there's at least one Jimmy body shell for the SCX24s. Bear in mind, those shells are probably for all the SCX24s except the new, longer SCX24 Gladiator.

If you just want it to look cool and don't need super crawling performance, are willing to pay an extra $50-$75 for the Mini-Z 4x4 (the SCX24 Deadbolt is the cheapest at $125, and the Gladiator being the most expensive, at $150), and don't plan to upgrade it as much, don't need tons of community support, and don't want to have to potentially mod and fabricate stuff to fit a Jimmy body to your crawler, then the Mini-Z 4x is the way to go.

Also, the Mini-Z runs on 4x AAA size batteries, you can use Alkalines, or NiMh (or Li-Ion) batteries as a rechargeable option, while the SCX24 uses standard LiPos, or Li-Ions.

So after reading this, lemme know which one you think is best for you, I can see why you might be leaning toward the Mini-Z, as having a mini version of your 1:1 scale car would be super neat!

Mini crawlers are super cool, I really want a SCX24 too, one day!

It really depends, are you more interested in crawling performance, value, and better aftermarket/community support, or scale looks? The SCX24 has better crawling performance, value (arguably), and better aftermarket/community support than the Mini-Z 4x4, but the SCX24 doesn't have as scale looks/details, or a Jimmy version.

If you want those first 3 things I said in the second sentence, go for a SCX24, and get a Jimmy body shell for it. I'm not sure if the Mini-Z 4x4 body (ies) will fit on the SCX24s, you may need to do some fabrication and mods to get it to fit. I just searched, and there's at least one Jimmy body shell for the SCX24s. Bear in mind, those shells are probably for all the SCX24s except the new, longer SCX24 Gladiator.

If you just want it to look cool and don't need super crawling performance, are willing to pay an extra $50-$75 for the Mini-Z 4x4 (the SCX24 Deadbolt is the cheapest at $125, and the Gladiator being the most expensive, at $150), and don't plan to upgrade it as much, don't need tons of community support, and don't want to have to potentially mod and fabricate stuff to fit a Jimmy body to your crawler, then the Mini-Z 4x is the way to go.

Also, the Mini-Z runs on 4x AAA size batteries, you can use Alkalines, or NiMh (or Li-Ion) batteries as a rechargeable option, while the SCX24 uses standard LiPos, or Li-Ions.

So after reading this, lemme know which one you think is best for you, I can see why you might be leaning toward the Mini-Z, as having a mini version of your 1:1 scale car would be super neat!
I am going to get an scx 24. I want a crawler to play on the rocks & I want parts availability & lipo > aa

Scale looks are a "nice to have" as long as the car roughly resembles a real world 4x4.

Performance wise, I don't need it to be super amazing, I need the sweet spot where it's challenging to drive in my garden without modification of my garden (already has a grass/dirt 1/12 track with pipe & i dont want to make a crawler track until I next move house).

You will have a lot of fun with the 24. It's a very capable crawler right out of the box. And it rivals, and probably even beats the Traxxas Slash for its ability to be whatever you want it to be. Especially with Furitek now offering a faster motor for the SCX24.

There are so many upgrades out there from great companies like SSD, Treal, Hot Racing, RC4WD, and many others. And because of that, you can turn them into whatever you want. Grab some monster trucks tires from AMT monster truck kits and build a Grave Digger or USA-1. You can build them into rock bouncers. You can do a comp crawler style with it with chassis' available from a number of 3d designers on Shapeways and web sites specializing in SCX24 parts. There are worm gears and axle components to convert them into a 6x6.

And let's not forget there's a boatload of body choices available in 1/24-1/25 scale thanks to AMT, Revell, and other scale model kits if you want to do a more scale build with one.

In my opinion, anyone into RC and loves modding them should have at least one SCX24.

Oh, and right now there is a $25 off coupon for the Deadbolt.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-...r-scale-mini-crawler-green-axi90081t2/p977316

Last edited:
I am going to get an scx 24. I want a crawler to play on the rocks & I want parts availability & lipo > aa

Scale looks are a "nice to have" as long as the car roughly resembles a real world 4x4.

Performance wise, I don't need it to be super amazing, I need the sweet spot where it's challenging to drive in my garden without modification of my garden (already has a grass/dirt 1/12 track with pipe & i dont want to make a crawler track until I next move house).
Ok then! Glad I could help! The SCX24 is one of the best performing micro crawlers in stock form, but it will still benefit a lot from upgrades. It will probably be a little challenging in your garden, but it depends on your garden's terrain. The SCX24 is stock form is decently scale looking (the Jeeps, not the Deadbolt, as the Deadbolt is an Axial design and doesn't really exist IRL).

One of the first upgrades you might want to consider for the '24 is hub weights, it'll flip over less, climb steeper hills and side-hill better, hub weights are effective and affordable!

I have the mini z and tbh it's a shelf queen because you don't want to damage it. Upgrades are stupidly expensive IE 80 quid for 4 shocks ect so if I could do it over odd still buy the mini z with my heart but scx24 is a much better buy all round

If I were you I'd go with scx24.

Hi all, I now have the miniz, the redspider mini z knock off and and have had a go of and will be buying an Scx24 too.

My son and I go driving with the mini z and knock off mini z. The knock off with the ali express shock upgrades and a few other ali express bits is pretty good value for a mini crawler. The mini z is great right out the box and the scx24 is more capable & the jeep version scx fits with the jimny mini z scale really well.

I would buy them all again, the mini z is great for a 1.5mx 2m dirt & stone outdoor crawler course we have and it doesn't take much to make a challange for it. The scx needs tougher obstacles to be fun as it's a bit more capable.

I'd say you can't really go wrong with any of these, but I also think that the knock off mini z (redspider) is the best for a young kid as it's more affordable and doesn't use a lipo battery.

If I didn't have kids & didn't have a 1:1 yellow jimny I would just buy an scx24.

Back