SCX24 Deadbolt Driveline Surge Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyWade

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
Hey there,

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve a surging issues at the wheels?

He is what I’ve already fixed;
-New upgraded motor
-Disassembled the transmission and regreased
-Disassembled the axles and reinstalled new bearings with grease

Here is what I know;
-The motor and trans turns perfectly when unattached from the axles
-The axles will not spin freely from the tires, but only from the input shaft

I need help!

Many thanks

Welcome to RCT!

The reason you can't turn the wheels is because the SCX24 uses a worm gear in the axle housing. Trying to turn a worm gear assembly from the output is next to impossible due to the design.

Are you having issues with operation? If so, check to see if your wheel nuts are too tight. To check, loosen the wheel nuts and see if the problem goes away.

If your wheels are crusing the bearing you may be binding the bearings up. If so, you may have to file a little material off of the boss on the back of the wheel that protrudes past the axle pins.

Welcome to RCT!

The reason you can't turn the wheels is because the SCX24 uses a worm gear in the axle housing. Trying to turn a worm gear assembly from the output is next to impossible due to the design.

Are you having issues with operation? If so, check to see if your wheel nuts are too tight. To check, loosen the wheel nuts and see if the problem goes away.

If your wheels are crusing the bearing you may be binding the bearings up. If so, you may have to file a little material off of the boss on the back of the wheel that protrudes past the axle pins.
The issue I am having is that when applying power, it surges. As in, the movement is not consistent. I’ll try loosening the wheel nuts.

Wheel nuts too tight causing this exact issue is common on these. The flange that sticks off the back of the wheel can press hard on the inner race of the bearing and crush it. It causes the bearings to bind up.

When I bought my Treal wheel hexes this happened. I ground that flange down and it solved the issue.

Last edited:
Hey folks! Thank you for all the input! I backed the wheel nuts off, still had an issue. Removed the wheels, saw scratches on the inside wheel, so upon y’all suggestion—I ground them down. No rubbing, and the issue has been completely resolved! Thanks a million!

Hey folks! Thank you for all the input! I backed the wheel nuts off, still had an issue. Removed the wheels, saw scratches on the inside wheel, so upon y’all suggestion—I ground them down. No rubbing, and the issue has been completely resolved! Thanks a million!
Can you post picks of the back of the whhel showing what you had to grind?

Can you post picks of the back of the whhel showing what you had to grind?

Here’s the photo of the area I ground down!
image.jpg

Back