SCT opinions needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What SCT truck would you guys say is 100% race worthy and has the most after market support?

If I were gonna race, Id still go with a slash and just drop a lower COG chassis on it.

locally everyone either has or wants a losi 22sct for 2wd class. many do run the associated sc10s, but thats only because their invested in associated in all their other classes. I just got my first racer, a b4.2kit put in a LRP esc and reedy sonic 17.5spec motor timing at 20deg and will put a low profile savox servo, I'm not sure the part number its about $65 and then either gensacearespammers packs or SMC, haven't decided. I like the slow speed of the spec class because it really lets you focus on driving more. I know the reedy sonic 17.5 motor is what all local racers use, unless they use a trinity d3 17.5 It cannot be the d3.5 17.5 as it is banned by ROAR. I was going to start in the SCT class, but was told by quite a few avid racers that the buggy class is where you learn the most, and really get into dialing in your rig once you can drive a whole race without crashing once.

But every local racing scene is different I just know it here locally. If you plan to actually race ask some locals what they run and what everyone else runs and follow suit. It is alot easier to get help when 20 other people are running the same thing you are.

I was going to start with all losi hardware, but so many people run associated it just made sense that as my first real race rig that I get something where If there is 5 people at a track one or more will be running what I have.

You also asked about aftermarket support, I would stick to associated or losi on 1/10th offroad. when racing your dont want rpm arms, or things that flex you need very little slop and play. there are some good hop ups and mods but most of them are all made by the company itself. The one RPM hopup that is avail are the bumpers which are great when bashing around the track.

so far this is what I gathered from my past few months of research and time spent talking to LHS, racers at tracks, and local people on different forums. your greatest resource comes from those guys you see that are sponsored or constantly in the a-main. I know for a fact that in many sponsors contracts that they are required to assist people when they can to help promote their product.

I wanna know which 4WD kits that are winning the national level races and have the best after market support. So far I'm leaning toward the Losi Ten-SCTE. I have a Durango atm. but I'm tempted to sell it and buy the losi. I dont really like the fact that it uses saddle packs even though I know ideally they balance helps the kit but Durango is also know to not provide very good parts support and they have very little after market support.

ahh 4wd well i just wasted a post lol. Theres a race next week if I can make it I'll ask around for ya.

Yeah sorry Surefire, I should have stated that originally. I have a bad habit of thinking 4WD SCT is the only SCT class out there cuz its the only one I like lol. My bad bro. :)

Its a toss up between the Losi Scte and the tekno sct410, I'm not sure the Tekno has wont any national stuff yet, but it will, the Tekno parts are still kinda hard to get but i would say they will get better as the year goes on.. The box stock setup on the tekno has been winning 90% of its races, with the new 2.0 losi coming out it may have more competition for the tekno. I hope to race mine this weekend, ill let you know ho whte box stock setup does on a med bite track.

Ok, I have the losi scte as a race truck. I'm very happy with it. But there isn't much original losi to it now. I have the mip kit, tekin rx8 esc and a tekin pro4 4600kv motor. But before the mip kit its was a very nice truck, the mip kit just made it better. So ya I'm partial to the losi scte. The associated 4x4 is good don't get me wrong, just as long its the belt drive one. The pro lite is ok but needs lots of tuning and trigger time to get it right. Also need to through a lot of parts at it to make it competitive. Jmo.

Yeah I've read that the SCTE has to have hop ups out the yin yang to be competitive. My Durango is a nice nimble truck but the arms break to easy especially when bashing. I'm tempted to look at a Tekno further down the line.

I drove a friends losi 22sct and that was a dream to drive. I know its 2wd, but its an awesome platform. The scte is pretty good out of the box. Ya it can use some upgrades, I would get the kit and put your own electronics in it. I bought the rtr version and the onlything that is losi is the center diff front and rear. Was happy with the stock setup and very race worthy. If you got the rtr, I would do a servo swap right off, then upgrade what's needed after that.

IF you decide to buy tekno, No upgrades are needed out of the box.

Back