SC10 gearing...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobuzzard

Useless NOOB!!
Reaction score
Neither here...nor there...but everywhere
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So, i'm finally getting this SC10 up and running that I got from Tmaxxfreak and was curious to what most of you bashers are running for the pinion/spur setup.

Will be running a brushless setup, 3500KV, with a 2S li-po.

-NB

I am running the stock 87 tooth spur with a 17 tooth pinion. I am running a novak ballistic 8.5 brushless on 2 s lipo. It is a bit too much motor but it handles fine.

The stock spur gear is 84 tooth which is what I'm running....87 was a typo....sorry about that. I have the team kit which didn't come with a motor or pinion gear stock, I had to supply my own. The brushless rtr truck comes with an 87 tooth spur and 19t pinion.

Very much appreciated bud.

I wasn't sure of the pinion size but I was thinking 19 or 20 on it. I do have an 87t spur as well, just not on the truck.

Thanks again for the help.

Carnage pics to come after this weekend...LOL

-NB

Sweet! I just got my sc10 back together. I converted it to the 10.2 version. Had the parts all winter but just got around to it. Good luck this weekend!

Not sure how well mine will run. It does ok but not as fast as i was wanting. I'm running the 3500 Kv Velineon setup with a 19t pinion. Not sure of the spur but it is huge, so big the cover won't fit...lol Definitely going to change that out. Hope to have some good pics, and maybe a video, posted up Monday if the weekend goes as planned.

Not sure how well mine will run. It does ok but not as fast as i was wanting. I'm running the 3500 Kv Velineon setup with a 19t pinion. Not sure of the spur but it is huge, so big the cover won't fit...lol Definitely going to change that out. Hope to have some good pics, and maybe a video, posted up Monday if the weekend goes as planned.

Sweet! I know associated has 2 spur options for the SC10 and 84 and 87... now I am sure there are others out there you can run but those are the two I have played with since I have had the truck. Finding the right ratio takes a little trial and error... but I enjoy it.

Weekend didnt go as planned. First off, MBR bailed out on me, he's such a loser...lol

Secondly, i took the SC10 out of the truck. Checked it over real quick, plugged the battery in, and turned everything on. Made a few runs up and down the pavement to get a feel for the power, which is good with the 87t spur and 19t pinion. Made one last pass for top speed, got to the end, turned around and it went about 3 feet and quit. End result, i think i blew out the idler gear from the sound of it.

So, along with taking a nose dive with the 3.3 Maxx resulting in a cracked bulkhead. And the 2.5 Maxx has some serious tire balance issues so its out of the running. Day started out kinda crappy.

Plus side is the Wraith links worked like a dream on the Rubi and the Merv is still going strong! So i did get some enjoyment...lol

Oh well, at least i got out of the house for awhile eh? lol

Last edited:
Oh man I have had days like that! I remember the first race in the 1/8th scale buggy class I ran I crashed and folded the front shock tower up. That ended my day early in that class. Then later that day I leading the race with my T4 and spun the motor loose and stripped the spur. You are right though....at least your in the great outdoors.

Associated sc10 4x4 factory runs a 32p 97t spur. I changed mine out for extreme speed I now run a hardened 32p 54t spur and a 32p 17t pinion and run a 3s lihv battery @ 50mph. Going to try larger pinion for more speed

Back