savage xl gearing options?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuster

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Recently put a clocked picco .28 on my xl. When I got the truck used it had a 52 spur and 19 cb. Been looking around for different gearing options last couple days, basically a good in between bashing and race setup. Any suggestions out there? Performing decent now but I feel like its some more power left to be exposed. Thanks for any suggestions.

I like the 44t spur from the Flux, u can get them pretty cheap on ebay too. 19/44 sounds perfect for a modded Picco.

The boost, all I'm finding is the integy. Does robinson not make the 47s or something close for the xl. I was a lil weary if the integy would hold up.

Niceee bro a Clocked Picco Boost!!! I'm putting my pennies aside so I can have Neal mod my Boost as well.

How does it compare to the Nova?

Do ur self a favor and don't buy Integy crap. There clutch shoes hold up well tho and since that is a wear and tear item it's a good alternative to XL shoes.

HPI has a steel 47t spur, it comes from the SS kit. It's nice and cheap on ebay.

Last edited:
I'd stick with hpi spurs as well, I've run a few Robinson racing spurs, and now that hpi makes steel spurs I think they hold up a bit better than my Robinson racing ones....some Robinson racing spurs have a bearing when this fails you'll flatten out the teeth really quickly

Havent ran my clocked nova on any of my savages yet, on my trophy truggy though that nova is a over kill its insane. Right now I have 4 tanks through the picco and neal done the breakin, wit the ercm end bleed its very spontaneous, yet to do a wot pass yet. Wheelies on demand. I still have to get tires and couple more odds and ends and ima really let her rip. Does hpi make a steel 47 for the xl? I can't find steel spurs in the 40s range for the xl right now

All Savage spurs are interchangeable .They aren't specific to any model, they all fit. X comes with plastic 47t, SS steel 47t and XL steel 52t.

Right here bro 47t steel spur :http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-SAV...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item20d3ff6398

---------- Post added at 6:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:51 AM ----------

Dood u have to post up a vid! I'm dyeing to see what that beast is capable of LOL

Oh so the spurs for the x will work on the xl

Yezzir! Stock X spur is plastic 47t tho, make sure u get the X SS steel 47t spur in the link above.

17/47 is the perfect gearing for bashing and speed

Thanks fellows ima see if I can't get them today at lhs. I'm too impatient to order lol

Finally got the hpi 47 spur, assembled it with lock tight assured the mesh was right and actually the truck sat for bout 2 weeks, been wrapped up with the electric rigs, anyway when I ran it today it rip the spur apart pretty quick spun it loose where the lil screws hold the assembly together. Running a 17 cb. Now on to plan B is the anything better out there to use if so where can I get it from. Gotta love playing wit power lol

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRMP5&P=7

Solid HPI steel spur.

I had issues gearing that tall with just an LRP28. I was running plastic spurs and the slipper would just slip on me with 47/16 and burn out the center of the spur. I now run 49/16 which seems to be just enough for the slipper to do it's job without melting it.

I should probably drop the coin on a 47T steel and get a OFNA hardened bell to run with it so I get a bit more leg out of the engine and not beat up my axle cups so much from the torque.