savage x with big red 28, when using the brake, the carb gets closed tighter and engine shuts off. how to fix?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalikaria24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hello i have a savage x and yesterday i noticed the idle was super super high so today i found the idle screw and turned it out so that there was a tiny gap in the carb at idle. however i noticed that when i hit the brake the truck shuts off and then i checked closely and seems like when i hit the brake, it ends up closing the carb fairily tight and i guess thats my problem. any idea how to fix that? i am not sure if its end points on my remote or something else with linkage.

thanks!

Hi, I use to have this problem with my savage as well but you can fix it fairly easily by adjusting the screw and spring at the end of the brake/throttle servo and the idle screw. First you need to make sure that the gap in the carb doesn't reduce when braking, use the idle screw to match the 1mm gap when you are slamming the brakes. Then if necessary you tune the brakes with the screw and spring at the end of the brake linkage to engage the brakes when the throttle reaches a certain point.
This way you can set the carb correctly and tune the brakes afterwards.

Turn the idle screw back in some. The screw is a mechanical stop for the carb slide that stops how far it can shut.
There is a spring in the brake/throttle linkage that starts to be overcome when the brakes are applied while the idle stop screw holds the carb slide from closing any further. The spring is inside the dual servo arms on top of the throttle servo.
Section 2-6 in the manual
https://www.rctalk.com/resources/savage/savage-manual.pdf

adjust the slide air gap with the idle screw until the screw is a hard stop for the gap you want.
Move the throttle trim so the throttle linkage closes to that position at neutral throttle
Adjust the brakes. Braking pulls all the linkages in the other direction but the idle screw stops the throttle side from moving any further closed.

sounds good so basically when it is set perfect, the brakes should not close the carb more then idle. right?

Back