Savage x 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flex74

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
My savage has been broke in but having problems with factory settings hobby shop says 3 half turns from close. And need to know how to tune in cold weather. Ready to run in snow. Please help out. Don't need any one to guess. Need some one that knows. Thanks

My savage has been broke in but having problems with factory settings hobby shop says 3 half turns from close. And need to know how to tune in cold weather. Ready to run in snow. Please help out. Don't need any one to guess. Need some one that knows. Thanks

Is it the 4.6 or the 5.9 engine?

Those types of composites carbs have leakage issues around the metal parts that are pressed in ,I had to smear
sylicone around the Mix meter screw on mine as it leaked fuel ,so try to pull the carb an seal it!

If the carb or fuel tank leaks ,you wont get a good tune!....:cool:

for your factory settings, look up a guide on that specific engine, every engine is different.
tuning is the same for all weather.
just remember, cold air is denser, so you will need to compensate by adding more fuel to the mixture, or "richen" it up a bit if you were going from a warm days tune to a cold days tune. tune will also change depending on ambient temperatures, humidity, etc.
many times you will be tuning multiple times a day.
also with cold weather, it is smart to insulate the head so it does not cool too much, (nitro engines need to be within operating temperatures between 220F-280F, some may be higher, but typically should be addressed to run cooler.) if the engine is too cold the piston and sleeve will not expand enough and there will be alot more physical wear on the engine, and damage to piston rod, crank, crankcase can happen.
most people use a sock, or bicycle tubing, tinfoil, or drink cozy.

don't tune by temperature, tune for performance, but a temp gauge is also very important to use to make sure you are within operating temperatures.
factory settings are typically set to "rich", mainly for break in, you will have to lean out from there. (i have ran into one time where the factory settings were actually lean, very uncommon, but can happen.
start with the idle gap at around .7-1mm, and factory settings on carb.
all adjustments should be small (under 1/8 turn) and should have at least 1 Wide Open Throttle pass (WOT) between them to clear fuel out of the crankcase.
very important that your trims should all be set correctly as well.

start with your HSN, lean it out till you get good power with lots of smoke, it should not sound bogging down, or "raspy" (typically meaning rich), and should not cut out when throttle is applied.
once you get the HSN close, slowly lean out your LSN. pay attention to performance, and what the idle does after you let off throttle after a WOT pass, does it drop down and stay down? drop down and then pick up? stays idled up then drops down?

F4.6. Start flush with needle setting then tune from there.