Savage suspension conversion from HPI

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they work great for turnbuckles/tie-rod ends, so you might wanna order some more.

Please help

I'm not completely new I stayed in the hobby about 8 months ago with a redcat racing.. Not i have 4 rigs 3 Rtr abs one I built from scratch using pays lots on eBay and that's my savage I Hale pretty much everything I can think of done to it but I put on the suspension kit over the weekend and I thought it would make my rig turn sharper and handle better but I really don't much of a difference. . Did I do something wrong or did I have the wrong idea of what is for.
I'd appreciate any advice Thanks

you wont notice much of a difference unless you put a sway bar kit, different springs and oil weight

?

Ok so just d I d the ofna 250cc mid tank conversion with the extened flm tvp's also .. I put on hpi plastic bigbore shocks.. They leak extremely bad and are only a month old.. so I just ordered hellfire shocks and shock mounts.. Do you think they will be a good addition to the suspension conversion if I grab a sway bar set also. . If so what springs do you think will work best for me I don't currently race although I may want to some day abs if not I still want the best... I appreciate the input Thanks

Attachments

• 20140526_013613.jpg
    20140526_013613.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 193
Ok so just d I d the ofna 250cc mid tank conversion with the extened flm tvp's also .. I put on hpi plastic bigbore shocks.. They leak extremely bad and are only a month old.. so I just ordered hellfire shocks and shock mounts.. Do you think they will be a good addition to the suspension conversion if I grab a sway bar set also. . If so what springs do you think will work best for me I don't currently race although I may want to some day abs if not I still want the best... I appreciate the input Thanks

I'm using the titanium/aluminium big bore set from HPI, people say they leak bad, but I'm a heavy basher and have had to dark dirt around the shocks or oil. id go with 60 weight also

suspension

I was told that if I point my front tires out a little it will give me the tighter steering radius I desire is there any truth to that

but keep in mind, when you point the tires out, it will be slightly harder to keep in a straight line, but you wont notice it at 1 degree

I haven't cracked mine open yet, but as I'm looking at it, I have to wonder if I'll notice an improvement if I use it on the XL, rather than the X, since Xs have a decent turning radius, and XLs kinda don't.

Ballooning is often caused by clutch setup. It took me a while to figure that out but I noticed that when I put on a new engine the power draw was too much. Break in traction, slow acceleration, etc caused it. Just something to consider. What is your engine/clutch setup now?
There is only ONE thing that causes ballooning and that's the RPM of the tires. It works the same on a big dragster doing a bleach burn out

but keep in mind, when you point the tires out, it will be slightly harder to keep in a straight line, but you wont notice it at 1 degree
True. Anything more and you'll definitely notice it getting squirrelly.

There is only ONE thing that causes ballooning and that's the RPM of the tires. It works the same on a big dragster doing a bleach burn out
I second this!

Actually according to Dave Maslar founder of buku clutches your clutch setup can most certainly cause your tires to be ballooning. I have 3.8 trenchers and don't have any trouble with ballooning with a properly tuned clutch.

Actually according to Dave Maslar founder of buku clutches your clutch setup can most certainly cause your tires to be ballooning. I have 3.8 trenchers and don't have any trouble with ballooning with a properly tuned clutch.

a clutch rotates with the RPM's of the engine, causing ballooning, ballooning is therefore caused by RPM's a clutch can fight it due to slipping(which isnt healthy) but a clutch does not CAUSE ballooning

Obviously centrifugal force causes it. But if your tires are ballooning bad, since unfortunately the forces of gravity are kinda non adjustable, you can properly tune a clutch to limit that. A clutch is not an on off switch. It is designed to slip to a certain degree.

I'm not fighting your intelligence, all i am saying is when "a clutch can cause tire ballooning" is said, it is false. although i do understand what you're saying

Back