savage spur gear destoryed what new one to get?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritchard-13

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
As above been told to get the hardend metal one? Also was told to get smaller on for better bottom end will i need a different clutch bell aswell or will the standard one be ok this is on a savage x btw with a 4.1 soon to be 4.6 thanks

Honestly I would go plastic at first because if you ruin a spur gear chances are your motor moved thus causing the spur gear to get chewed. The way to check your spur gear mesh is to use a pice of notebook paper folded into two and use that as a spacer between the clutchbell and the spur gear. Then you would tighten your engine bolts down in a cross pattern. Then remove one at a time and apply loctite. YouTube is your friend for a better explanation. Some will argue that a steel spur gear eliminates the weak point in a tranny but I've never had a problem. If you do get a steel spur gear you're going to need a hardened steel clutchbell to go with it.

Thanks guys I've just brought the plastic 49 teeth one for now then gettin upgraded one on pay day i have the savage x want it mainly for wheelies jumping ect not fussed about top speed I'm using my xl for top speed ect what spur gear with how many teeth and what clutch bell would be best for bottom end and wheelies ect? Still want a bit of top speed but want more bottom end

So i fitted my new spur gear took it out tonight to see if was ok have a problem if i hold truck in the air it throtles fine but 2nd gear dont seem like its kicking in when the cars on the floor it moves very slowley but engine is revvin up and not moving asiff something is slipping? A guy in the model shop told me to be carefull of a washer when changing i dident see one i was taking apart very carefuly but once i finished clearing up the work space i see a washer but wernt sure were it came from? Help please :)

I just inspected the spur gear I've noticed with the wheels on the floor if i turn the spur gear obv it turns but were the wheels are on the floor if i turn it with force it still turns like slips? Is that the problem? The washer i found had a hex in the middle can this be from the spur? I can tighten the nut on the spur but the spring is fully closed and have a lot of thread on the end and lookong at others they dont ill try upload some pics

20140225_201321_zps2zgvuuqt.jpg

As you can see in the bottom engine plate thats the washer i was on about

Think you found your problem buddy. Yes the hex bushing goes in the spur gear.

Sorted now guys i looked at my old spur gear and the was a gold washer type thing in it haha its fine now! The video on hpi dosent show u taking this out or its me just being blind thanks

I think the factory recommended setting for the spur gear nut is to tighten it down until the spur gear spring is completely compressed and then back it off a half a turn.

Yep all sorted now thanks alot to you all :)

Back