Savage Flux ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhuffman_81

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am looking at getting an RC truck. At first I was looking into a nitro model, but have most likely decided against it. I am not wanting the long term expenses and future motor replacements when it has reached the end of it's life span. I am curious about the Savage Flux. From what I understand it has a much higher top speed than most nitros Savage XL, CEN GST 7.7 etc, depending on what batteries used. But is it possible to gear it down or learn to control the throttle at lower speeds. I like the idea of a rock crawler at times, but would like to be able to go fast, jump, etc. So was wondering if the Flux could be controlled at slower speeds to attempt to climb hills, rocks, and other obstacles slowly rather then just using speed to fly over them. I know it will not perform exactly like a crawler without the crawler suspension, but sometimes it just seems fun to see if you can climb over something or park it on top of something. I have an old RC truck from Radio Shack from when I was a kid and it is very basic and slow. When using it around the house with my son I find myself trying to climb things, that is why I am asking. But believe me I am looking forward to the power and speed that the Savage Flux provides.

Yes, it is possible to change the gearing on the Flux.

Hmm, if speed isn't too big for you, the Traxxas Summit sounds like what you would want. It is capable of some what rock crawling, just general driving, decent speeds, and it's waterproof.

+ 1 on the Summit. The flux never sounds like a bad idea, though. With 2 6 cell nimh's, it will top out around 35 mph. That's a good start.

Hmm, if speed isn't too big for you, the Traxxas Summit sounds like what you would want. It is capable of some what rock crawling, just general driving, decent speeds, and it's waterproof.

Yeah, I was gonna say the exact same thing. The summit in stock form isn't nearly as fast as a Flux but if you want to do some mild crawling that is definately the ticket for you. If you want badA speed I would take a gander into the For Sale forum here on this site. My man Beason is selling a nearly brand new Summit for only $300. They are usually around $480 retail. For that savings you could install something like a Mamba Monster (you'll want to gear it up so pick up larger pinions and/or smaller spur) and still have about the same amount (actually less) of $$ into it as a new Savage flux. This way you also have the remote diff abilities to do some mild crawling AND all the servos are already waterproof. You CANNOT beat that IMO.

Thanks for your replies. The Summit looks like a pretty cool truck. I think however that I have decided that for the price of a Flux or a Summit with an upgraded motor I will probably get a regular e-Savage and an Axial AX10 Scorpion Rock Crawler. Both come RTR with everything included except AA batteries for the controller. That way I will have a dedicated crawler and a dedicated basher without sacrificing performance of either category with one do it all truck. Thank your for your help and ideas.

I can see the logic in your decision. Just don't forget about Traxxas electric vehicles being waterproof. Even morning dew can ruin non-waterproof rigs. Mud, snow, puddles, ect... are all fair game when your waterproof. Hpi makes some tough stuff, so if water is a non issue, you'll be quite pleased with your choices.

It shouldn't be I doubt I will be out and about early enough for morning dew unless I'm out camping once a year. I live in Utah so it's pretty dry here. Thanks for the help.

Back